1753594 Members
6060 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350 G1 Hard Drive Upgrade

ErikChubb

ML350 G1 Hard Drive Upgrade

Good Afternoon Everyone,

A customer of ours has a Proliant ML350 G1 that they would like to re-use and I understand that in the servers current configuration. With the original SCSI card, it can take a total of six 36gb drives (thats with removing the optical media drives and installing the two bay drive carriage) so that gives them a total of ~216gb.

But my question is this. If we put a different scsi controller such as a SmartArray 5300 or something newer, can we larger hard drives in?

Can we use a different brand of SCSI controller that would let us use a larger drives?

Thank you,
Erik
4 REPLIES 4
Gary Antonio Benavides_1
Frequent Advisor

The smart array 5300 supports up to 300GB Hard Drives. The server is capable of supporting up to 36GB hard drive with the internal Integrated Dual Channel Wide Ultra3 SCSI Adapter. The limitation is the storage controller, even though the smart array 5300 was retired.

smart array 5300
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10640_div/10640_div.html
If it's not fun, you're not doing it right
e4services
Honored Contributor

That is Incorrect.
SCSI does not have any limitations as to what size drive it can 'support'
The unit and the controller can support any size dirve. If you are looking on some Spec sheet, it probebly only lists what ever drives were available at the time. So you can put a 300GB, 146, 73 SCSI 80 pin drive onto your G1 with no problems. No new controller required.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Gary Antonio Benavides_1
Frequent Advisor

oh I see! I was completely wrong. Thanks!
If it's not fun, you're not doing it right
ErikChubb

If we wanted to upgrade the server to a newer ultra320 card, can anyone recomend one that will work with the servers current backplane.