7279 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML350 G1 NMI stop errors caused from SFB

SOLVED
Go to solution
Paul Aldarondo

ML350 G1 NMI stop errors caused from SFB

I have a dual proc 733 ML350 G1 that I'm using as a video server for a CRT projector. The OS is MS Server2003. I installed a ATI Radeon9200 PCI Video card, disabled the Video from the server feature boad (SFB) buy changing the dip switch setting. After approx 2-3 hrs run time, I get a NMI stop error at pci slot 1 which is the SFB. Allways the same message. It ran good prior to config change. I'm not using the SFB for anything now,,, Can I remove it?? and could I possibly add a NIC later to another PCI slot?
5 REPLIES 5
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: ML350 G1 NMI stop errors caused from SFB

You can't take out SFB, part of your server: PCI-to-PCI bridge chipset, BIOS, Cache, etc
http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/showphoto?partnumber=163355-001

Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Verify your System ROM
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/18329.html
Where is ATI card Installed? Can you try different BUS?
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Paul,

Devices like the Remote Insight Board (RIB) which have inbuilt video must use a primary PCI slot to achieve control. Try placing your ATI card in slot 4 as this is a PCI bus 1 (primary) slot, just like the SFB.

As stated in the earlier reply the Server Feature Board is a required device. The server won't POST without this as it contains the system BIOS.

The PCI bus structure and preferred device order for the ML350G1 can be seen in the attached image.

I hope this helps.

Brian

Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Paul,

Just to add.....

Don't forget to run the system configuration utility once you have made any changes so that system resources can be re-assigned to the slots.

Brian
Paul Aldarondo

Thanks for the info guys. Actually, I removed the SFB and it does give a post failure, but once you acknowledge it, it boots fine, and runs. I've had it running for approx 6hrs now and no NMI stops.

I did notice however there seems to be a slight degradation in video performance. Seems a little choppy at times,might be an issue with the slot I have it in.

It's all patched and has the latest system roms but if you guys say it's on the SFB how does it run then? The video card is in the last PCI slot.

I'm going to see if I just reinstall the SFB, re-enable the video on it, and just not use it and see how it'll perform.