1753856 Members
7535 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML350 G2 second processor

Gabriel Aviles
Occasional Advisor

ML350 G2 second processor

I just installed a second processor on the server along with it's respective power module but it's not being recognized. I've updated the BIOS and all the drivers but I haven't had any luck in getting the processor recognized. Any suggestions?
10 REPLIES 10
Gus Kwong
Respected Contributor

Re: ML350 G2 second processor

Hi Gabriel,

What is the part number of the CPU and power module?

Have you also tried one CPU at a time for both of your chips?
Learning never ends
Gabriel Aviles
Occasional Advisor

239324-001 is the CPU part number. The power module came with the CPU so I don't have a part number. I haven't tried one CPU at a time because I was under the impression that unless there was a CPU in Slot 1 you couldn't put a CPU in Slot 2. I know the CPU I just purchased works because I tried it on it's own in slot 1 and it runs. Any other ideas?
Gus Kwong
Respected Contributor

That part number indicates the CPU has a 256kB L2 cache, whereas the ML350g2 has been sold with 512kB L2 cache CPUs as standard.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10960_div/10960_div.HTML

Have a quick check what are the sizes of the L2 cache on both CPUs --- they cannot be mixed even they are almost identical.

Hope this give a clearer picture.

Gus

ps: Please assign points accordingly.
Learning never ends
Gabriel Aviles
Occasional Advisor

How do I check the cache size on processors?
Gus Kwong
Respected Contributor

http://homepage3.nifty.com/fujisan/at_tua1.jpg

pretty much the very bottom line printed on the CPU.

1133 = speed in MHz
512 = kB L2 Cache (this is the one to check)
133 = bus speed
Learning never ends
Gabriel Aviles
Occasional Advisor

It is 512 L2 KB Cache... Any other ideas?
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

When you say it's not being recognized do you mean it's not even seen by the BIOS? Or is the server booting up to an "unsupported processor" error? If you get the unsupported processor error and the processor came from HP, then you can usually get rid of this by upgrading the BIOS/firmware on the server to the latest.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Gabriel Aviles
Occasional Advisor

As I stated in my original post I've already updated the BIOS. However what I mean by not getting recognized is that even the BIOS doesn't see it when I boot up.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

If the second processor has a PPM installed for it, then I'd recommend trying the "new" processor in socket #1 and testing. It's possible there may be something wrong with socket #2
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..