108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350-G3 - 3 Disk RAID5

SOLVED
Go to solution
Terry_92
Frequent Advisor

ML350-G3 - 3 Disk RAID5

I will have to replace the disks to give a larger OS partition. I currently have a 8.78GB OS and a 59GB data RAID5 striped across three scsi drives. The backup app is BackupExec v9.x

What would be the best way to tackle this please?
13 REPLIES 13
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Terry,
If you use RAID1 for OS partition and SmartArray controller - you can replace first OS drive to larger drive, wait till array rebuild completed, replace second drive, wait till array rebuild completed, extend the logical drive and finally use Diskpart.exe to expand disk C:. Install last firmware and PSP before. DO FULL BACKUP BEFORE !
The second way - replace system drive and restore disk C:\ and system state.

Igor
Terry_92
Frequent Advisor

Hi Igor,
If I understand correctly, I could replace one by one the three drives, waiting for each to rebuild, then use Diskpart.exe to extend the C: partition.

You mention RAID1, is the suggestion to change the RAID config from RAID5?

Keep in mind that both partitions are on the same RAID5.

I have three drive bays free, is it a possibility of introducing another RAID5 set, transfer the Data to a new partition on the new RAID set, nuke the old data partition and then extend the C: partition within the old RAID set? I am assuming that the SmartArray 641 could do that.
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Terry, I just misunderstand your first post (I was under the impression that you have RAID1 for OS and RAID5 for data).
Now I understand you have one RAID5 array with C:\ and D:\ on it.
I think (but I don't sure !) you still can use diskpart for extend C:\ partition in this situation.
BUT: the good practice is to have separate array for OS, therefore you have good idea:
build second array on three free drives. After transfer the data you can extend disk C on first array with diskpart.

Good luck !
Mike Bollman_1
Respected Contributor

Diskpart would normally work, but the problem here is that you have 1 physical array and 2 logical drives. As a result C:\ will appear first on the partition followed by D:\ (or whatever drive letter is assigned). If you were swap one for one and let the array rebuild each time, you could then use ACU to extend the array. However, diskpart is going to choke on expanding c:\ since there is no free space directly after it. It will allow you to extend D:\ however, since there is free space after it.
What OS is the server running? If it is Win2k or NT4 you could use Volume Manager from symantec to shift D:\ down and then extend C:\. However, last time I looked it would not work on Win2k3.

Just out of curiousity why do you need more than 8.8GB for an OS partition? That seems like an awfull lot to me.
e4services
Honored Contributor

My suggestion would be to add a new 2 drive set and create a RAID1 for you OS. Now Image or Restore your primary boot partition to the new RAID1 and then delete it from the RAID5
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Terry_92
Frequent Advisor

I thought that 8.78GB would be enough for Windows Server 2003, however, with updates and patches, HP-Sim and associated stuff it would appear that 8.78 is not enough. I have managed to claw back to give 385MB free (that was from 16MB) by removing a couple of applications that I could do without. Are there any logs that could be trimmed?

I thought that diskpart.exe did not handle boot partitions! I understand the problem of not having any free space after C: tho.

I feel that perhaps a second RAID set for the data partition is most probably the way to go and use a third party app like Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0 that supports Server 2003 to do the work.

Will that SmartArray 641 card allow me a second RAID set? HP site doesn't give that info.

Still, I have had the go-ahead for the spend.

Mike Bollman_1
Respected Contributor
Solution

Terry I would really push harder on the C:\ drive space allocation. It sounds like you have something abnormal here. Our standard build with HPSIM agents, Win2k3 SP1, A/V, Backup client, etc etc. is only 4.5GB with the swap file.

You might want to download treesize pro from jam software and scan your c:\ drive. There is probably something (like a dump file) that is chewing up all your space.

http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/index.shtml
Terry_92
Frequent Advisor

OK, I'll do a bit of digging with Treeview. The server has been running great right from first build just over a year ago. A bit of digging may save a few ├В┬г/$
andre.mostert
Advisor

Terry

To clear some more space of in the interim is to set you pagefile manually. Change your pagefile settings to point it to the D: drive and not the C:. You will have to restart to server after the changes. I am also having space problems bacause of all the MS patches. I have moved the pagefile and save allot of space.

Cheers

Andre