ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753329 Members
4950 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350 G3 No wont run at all

paul fuller_1

ML350 G3 No wont run at all

My ML350 G3 Was running fine, Then all of a sudden the processor fan went to full speed and ther server crashed, Now all I get on power on is fast running fans and a Red LED on fron panel denoting an Internal problem. Internally I get 1 red LED "NB ALERT" with no corresponding amber leds stating where the problem Lies. I also get the green LED stating external power healthy. I get no VGA output or any system beeps.
I have tried disconnecting all IDE/SCSI devices. Also have reseated all DIMMS,VRM's and processors. Also tried cmos clear.

HELP!

Paul
4 REPLIES 4
Robert Toth
Advisor

Two things:

1) Pull the processor and check for crud buildup on and around the socket. You can flip it into the second processor socket if you want to test it there.
2) VRM dead/dying. If you've moved to the other socket, you'll have to pull the VRM and move it over as well. While you're at it, check the contacts - that G3 is fairly old so it may be suffering from corrosion issues. Clean them with a nice clean pink eraser (gently) and some compressed air (Dust-off). Then try it again.
You also mentioned VRM(s) and Processor(s) - meaning you have a dual-proc configuration. Let's get it down to ONE cpu, ONE VRM for now. Socket by socket.

It sounds like a VRM is flakey, had that happen to me. Moving slots, cleaning, and then retrying it back in the first socket ultimately fixed that one. But I have a spare VRM now too.

Other issue that I have seen: If you have a 5400-series controller on it... Check the SCSI cable. I had a bad one that shorted.. it stalled the controller, which stalled the system bus. Unplugging the controller and the system booted. Controller back in and it didn't do squat. Pulled the SCSI cable - it booted!! You said you unplugged all your devices, but you need to go right back to the controller and isolate from there.

Hope this helps!
paul fuller_1

Thanks for the reply

I am starting to think the worse on this one now.

Have had the whole thing to bits today. rebuilt from the bottom up (removing dust as i go). Have tried 1 processor and vrm and all configurations of them. Tried with all memory configs I can do, With/without the 6400 array controller again with or without disks. Still All i get is the same red light on the front (internal fault) even in standby, with the array controller i get a hdd fail light on the controller and the hdd's fail to spin up. Again I get the "NB ALERT" led on board without a corresponding amber even if I make a fault

one thing i have noticed is that the processors however i hvae them set out are not getting warm at all. All chipsets on board are getting warm though.

I'm pulling my hair out now, I have spent nearly 2 solid days on it now

Paul
Robert Toth
Advisor

Hi Paul,

Well sounds like to me that you're down to two final options...

1) Power Supply Bridge unit (located at the top of the chassis, where the two power supplies plug internally into the chassis itself. Had one go a couple of years back that I seem to remember gave something similar.

2) System board just plain up and died.

Just out of curiosity - how many drives do you have on this server? Is it worthwhile moving it over to a replacement?
paul fuller_1

I had the same idea about the psu backplate. Did read that on a forum somewhere.

Aquired a new psu, 2 vrm's and an array controller today. but they didn't work, Its still exactly the same.

I have 4 x 36gb scsi installed at the mo.

Paul