5429 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350 G3 Power issue

Kylej
Occasional Contributor

ML350 G3 Power issue

Hi,

I recently had power serge through my PSU which by the looks of things took the system board with it as it wouldnтАЩt boot when a new PSU was installed.

Installed new system board, it booted up first time but not again after that. It sounds like it starts to power up but then it doesnтАЩt and I get a red blinking light. The chip that blinks is indicated as 'NB Alert', does anyone know what this means?

Im thinking to replace the power board which the PSU plugs into, is this recommended? Anyone else seen this fault?

All help will be much appreciated

Cheers
Kyle
8 REPLIES 8
Michael Richter
Trusted Contributor

hey kylej,

without system details its very hard to give a general answer

- what kind of system?
- what LED is flashing, sure its NB Alert?
- is the external health LED flashing?
- has the server redundant PSU?
- are the PSU LEDs green?

cheers
Michael
Kylej
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply,

System in ML350 G3 3GHz CPU, 1.5GB of RAM, SA 5300 with 6 disks. Need anything else?

Im pretty sure that its NB Alert thats flashing red, I cant find any information on it though so it may be called something else.

The external light blinks amber at the same time as the internal chip light blinks red. It seems as when these blink it trys to power up again, the fans noise goes up and down.

The server does not have redundant PSU. The PUS light is green and is also brand new.

If you need any more information let me know please.

Cheers
Kyle
raadek
Honored Contributor

You are probably spot on with blaming PSU backplane board.

Look there:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=900511&admit=-682735245+1148471032776+28353475

Rgds.
Don't panic! [THGTTG]
Kylej
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Raadek,

Ill have to try that next then, iv seen similar problems with the Power Board on a DL380 but I just wasnt sure about the red light on the system board.

Thanks again
Michael Richter
Trusted Contributor

Kyle,

ensure the proper seating of the processor, memory, PPM's, and all PCI card's. Also try to run in minimal config.

One further quest, did the error ocure with the new systemboard? or does the behavior was allready before replacing? if the behavior comes with sysboard u should preventive exchange the sysboard again

Cheers
Michael

Kylej
Occasional Contributor

I tried re-seating everything first but this didnt reslove anything.

Once I replaced the system board this fault occured. With the original system board in the 'NB Alert' light would stay on all the time and power was constant through the system but it didnt try to boot. I thinks its been a fault with the power board and the system board I just hope the fault power board hasnt damged the new system board.

Thanks for you help

Cheers
Kyle
RaMpaNTe
Trusted Contributor

Hello Kyle, Ensure that the LED illuminated is the NB Alert and not the Processor 1 Failure LED.

If NB Alert is the one illuminated there are ONLY two possible reasons, failed system board or failed Power Supply Backplane Board, here are the spares:

Power Supply Backplane Board with cover
292235-001

System Board (2.0, 2.2, 2.4 GHz)
292234-001

System board 533 MHz (2.8, 3.06 GHz)
322318-001

Regards!
RaMpaNTe
You heve a question... I have an aswer!!!
Kylej
Occasional Contributor

Thanks,

I have tried a new system board and power board, but fault is still there. I havnt yet tried a new CPU but im not sure if the faulty power board may have damged the new system board when it was installed so there is a new system board coming in to try.

I keep the CPU in mind thanks but I wasnt looking at that because when I take the CPU out altogether I still get the same fault.

Thanks for your help, its still work in progress!

Cheers
Kyle