7582 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML350 G3 SA641 new offline disk

SOLVED
Go to solution
Nils Lastein

ML350 G3 SA641 new offline disk

I've got a ML350 G3 with a Smart Array 641 controller and a RAID5 running SLES10 SP1 with PSP 8.0.

One of the hot-plug disks was replaced - but with a 36.4GB 15K SCSI U320 Xseries (IBM) disk (model hus151436vl3800) - but the controller just sets the disk offline and the disk lights the amber fault LED.

When I refer to http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12067_div/12067_div.html#Options to see that I should be possible to attach this disk.

The HP Insight Diagnosis is unable to determine disk size nor serial number. But it also says that the disk "This drive IS functionning ... and not should be replaced"

Is there any way to make (force) the online? ... or should I require an original spare HP-disk?
2 REPLIES 2
Mi6t0
Trusted Contributor

Re: ML350 G3 SA641 new offline disk

As far as I know IBM SCSI controllers are functioning a bit different than HP smart arrays - there is a difference between this "online" and "offline" HDD condition. On the smart array controller it happens automatically - if the harddrive is "healthy", it is always available and online.
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: ML350 G3 SA641 new offline disk

Hi,

the HP HDDs are 3rd party HDDs(Western digital, Maxtor, Seagate..), but they are flashed with HP firmware, so that they function with the HP controler firmware.

If the HDD is offline , this condition means that the drive can't be managed by the controller(although ID says to not replace)...

I'm afraid you will never get it working with the IBM drive, and you will have to find HP drive. There is no way to force the drive to online, no such utility.

Not a god answer, but don't think there is another solution in your case...

Pac