cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ML350 G3 Supported smart array controllers

Charles Willmarth
Occasional Contributor

ML350 G3 Supported smart array controllers

I have purchased a used ML350 G3 server and attempted to add a smartarray 532 controller. Although the server saw the controller, I could not setup hard drives on it? I installed Win2003 with the onboard SCSI and when the system booted it found the controller but I could not find a driver that worked? I downloaded every storage driver and every firmware package/cd and still could not get the controller installed. What controllers does this server support and which one is the best? I also have a problem with the system shutting down for no reason every few hours?
2 REPLIES
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Re: ML350 G3 Supported smart array controllers

look this

Can the Smart Array 532 be placed in any PCI slot of a ProLiant server?
A15. No, the Smart Array 532 is supported only in 3.3-volt PCI slots of all Ultra2 and Ultra3 ProLiant servers. The SA-532 is not supported in 5-volt PCI slots.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/arraycontrollers/smartarray532/questionsanswers.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN#13

it seems that you tried with Smart start?

regarda
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Charles Willmarth
Occasional Contributor

Re: ML350 G3 Supported smart array controllers

Karlo, thank you for the quick response. I originally tried the Smart Start CD and when that did not work, I started researching for the proper method of installing Win2003. I found that thread you referred me to already and have read all the questions and responses. The ML350 has 4 PCI-X 3.3 volt slots and only one 32 bit 5 volt. I did not try the 5 volt because I had already read that before I started. The server came with the documentation and had PDF files for the 532 install and users guide. I tried the method suggested by HP which says to put the most currect drivers on a floppy and install 2003 from the CD and press F6 (I have installed 2003 on numerous servers). The 2003 install says that the drivers on the floppy are newer than the ones that come with 2003 (which I also tried), but when I get to the install, it reports there are no boot drives (or similar message.) I made the 532 the boot controller (I even disabled the onboard SCSI adapter) and still no luck. I am looking to upgrade to a new controller and quit messing with this one as it is getting time consuming and my time is money. Any other sugguestions would be great. Thanks again.

Chuck