1751980 Members
4998 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350 G3 Thermal Temperature

M Adeel
Occasional Contributor

ML350 G3 Thermal Temperature

Sorry for posting it again, but I desprately needs your clues on this issue please !!!

I have run out of ideas how to cool down one of my ML350 G3 CPU. The server is in perfect room temperature. If you just keep the server on (do nothing) it will run fine but as soon as you start some job (E.g., start an AV scan, backup job etc) the heatsink on top of CPU will boil up like hell within 5-7 mins and the next thing you get a windows thermal warning message that system has lost cooling and needs to shut down. The CPU installed is Intel Xeon 2.0 Ghz.

I have done the following without having any luck.

1. Checked server fans, all fans are working fine. Also airflow is good.

2. Monitored room temperature, it's normal and other machines are running in same room without any problem.

3. Cleaned the processor/heatsink, reapplied grease carefully. Also cleaned the box.

3. Replaced 2 CPU's (Not heatsink, as I dont have a spare one).

4.Installed latest firmware, BIOS and installed HP Proliant system managment, HP tools, HP insight diagonostics.

HP tools report that system is shutting down after crossing a threshold of 60C, which is correct. I can also feel the heat if I check the temperature on heat sink, its almost impossible to touch it due to excessive heat.

In all above cases the system shuts down following a heat up of 5-7 min. The fans come on full speed before system shuts down.

The system also gets thermal warning & shut down with 5-7 mins if you are in BIOS mode (while FANS are on full speed) I am running Win server 2003 and now out of ideas why they CPU is boiling as soon as you give it some work to do. Perhaps someone else had the same situation ?

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi M Adeel

is the same issue for the 2 CPUS?

have you tried running with one PCU at a time? in the way we can check if the heatsink is faulty or maybe th slots?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
M Adeel
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for replying.

I have never tried using two processor at same time. I have a 2 spare processor but don't have a spare heatsink.

I have pasted the grease carefully between CPU and heatsink, I am not quite sure if heatsink can be faulty as it's only a piece of metal.

I have tried putting the processor in slot 2 leaving slot 1 blank, but the server didn't boot, do I need to change some settings in BIOS to do so ???
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

sorry

I understood you got 2 Procs in that server for this

"3. Replaced 2 CPU's (Not heatsink, as I dont have a spare one)"

no there is not way to boot using only slot 2
M Adeel
Occasional Contributor

Hi, the issue is solved now !!!
Guess what the issue was, my colleague replaced some RAM couple of weeks ago and forgot to put back the transparent fan air cover which sits on the motherboard and redirector the air suction from fan to CPU.
Put that back in, and running like a charm now.
Never thought this could be the issue, I only found out when this part was sitting in server room !!!
Anyways, thanks for the help and may help some other people who have similar issue.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

really jejeje

well glad to hear that