ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753338 Members
5385 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350 G3 - Windows 2K SP4 - Upgrading From Single 36.4GB HDD to 72.8GB HDD & 641 Raid Controller.

Mike.L

ML350 G3 - Windows 2K SP4 - Upgrading From Single 36.4GB HDD to 72.8GB HDD & 641 Raid Controller.

I am hoping that someone can confirm / assist with the following upgrade I have planned for one of our ML350 G3 Servers.

The server's current configuration is as follows:

ML350 G3 Tower Server
Windows 2000 Server - Service Pack 4
36.4GB U320 Hot Plug HDD 10,000 rpm
Formatted as NTFS, 1 partition, C: Drive

I have a requirement to upgrade this server to match the same specification of our other ML350 G3/4 servers that all have a SmartArray 641 Controller, with 4x 72.8Gb U320 Hot Plug 10,000rpm drives in a RAID 5 configuration.

Unfortunately, we do not have the finance to purchase all the 4x 72.8GB HDDs and SmartArray 641 at present, but we have initally purchased 1x 72.8GB U320 10,000 rpm HDD along with the SmartArray 641 controller.

My plan is to initially install the SmartArray 641 controller and migrate the existing data from the 36.4GB HDD over to the 72.8GB HDD. Then when further finance becomes available, purchase the additional 3x 72.8Gb drives and then create a RAID 5 setup.

The process in mind to do this would be as follows:

1) BACKUP ALL DATA and server configuration.

2) Power down server and install the SmartArray 641 controller (but not the SCSI cable to the front drive bay, at this stage), with current and up to date drivers & utilities.

3) Power down server again. Install the new 72.8GB HDD.

4) Boot from FDD with a Symantec Ghost boot disk. Then using Symantec Ghost, 'ghost' the data from the 36.4GB HDD to the 72.8GB HDD.

5) Once completed. Power down and remove the 36.4GB HDD, and relocate the 72.8GB HDD to Bay 0.

6) Disconnect the front HDD bays from the internal U320 SCSI controller, and connect with the SCSI cable from the SmartArray 641 controller.

7) Switch on, and enter BIOS setup etc, to confirm that the server boots from the SmartArray 641 controller as default.

8) Now. Will it boot into Windows 2000 Server??

9) Hopefully if successful, when extra finance is available, we can add 3 extra 72.8GB U320 HDDs and then setup a RAID 5 configuration. I realise you cannot expand on the exisiting C: Drive partition space (unless using 3rd party software), but we can setup a new D: drive with the new capacity (2x72.8 = ~140GB)

I would appreciate some feedback from people who have done this (or similar).

Note. losing the 36.4GG U320 HDD is not an issue, it can be used elsewhere.

Thanks

Mike.
7 REPLIES 7
Raj_75
Regular Advisor

Re: ML350 G3 - Windows 2K SP4 - Upgrading From Single 36.4GB HDD to 72.8GB HDD & 641 Raid Controller.

Hello Mike,

Step 8 will not work. Once you moved the drives with data from U320 SCSI controller to Array controller you will not be able to access those data. Hence, this drive will not boot.

My suggestion is to use a back up software (ie: NT Back up)to back up data and restore them once installed with 72 GB drive and 641 array controller.

You have to do the same thing to restore the data when you create a RAID 5 volume with another 3 drives.
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Per your steps, you missing one point to move Cable from Onboard SCSI Controller to Smart Array controller - you need to Run Array Configuration Utility in order Controller able to see logical Drives. You won't be able to Boot from 72 Gb if you make your Way.

Trace the steps:
1. Install Controller so O/S can load SA 641 Driver for Future boot
2. Make good Backup from 36 (with 641 installed, cables not connected)
3. Power down Box removes 36 Install 72, move cable from cage to SA641
4. Accesses to F8 or Smart Start CD Create RAID and Logical Drive.
5. Restore from Backup to new configuration with 72
6. After you can finish migration form RAID 0 to RAID 5

You mentioned your System Utilities and Drivers Up to Date; Firmware also?
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Mike.L

Thanks Raj and KOV for your quick responses.

KOV:
Sorry. I was going to relocate the cable from the Onboard SCSI to the 641 controller, as well as update firmware etc. Just didnt want to overload my posting!

From the information you have both given me, the upgrade process wont go as initially planned. Thats I.T. for you!

As the server, is the one and only server on this particular network (Domain Controller, Printer Server, File Server etc etc), it would look like a complete rebuild / restore after installing Windows 2000 Server on the new 72.8GB HDD connected to the 641 controller.

The alternative would be to 'Ghost' from the 36.4GB HDD to 72.8GB HDD, remove the 36.4GB HDD (which i can use as a backup) and connect the 72.8GB HDD in its place, connected to the internal SCSI controller. Then have the 641 controller installed, ready for future purchases of the 72.8GB HDDs which will now have to be separately set-up in a RAID 5 configuration.

Downside of this is that despite doubling the capacity on the boot / OS HDD, it will not benefit from the performance and fault tolerance that RAID can offer.

I will have to seriously think about this, as a rebuild would make the network out of action for a good while, and I cannot afford to have it unavailable for an extended period. But I do require the extra storage capacity (which is straight forward, even if it means just adding an extra HDD in), but I wanted the fault tolerance from RAID that all our other servers have.

Thanks again for your input (so far).

Mike.

Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

This procedure will not work.

Everything up to step #6 will work fine, but when you take a drive off the embedded scsi and move it to the 641 you will need to create an array (raid 0 in this case). Whenever you create an array on any smart array controller it deletes any existing data. This will cause the ghosting procedure you used earlier in step 4 to be useless.

This is the biggest roadblock to the current issue. If the 36.4 GB drive was already in a raid 0 on the 641, then all the other steps would work.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Mike.L

Thanks to everyone who has assisted so far to my initial question.

It's looking likea rebuild of the W2K Server to have a RAID 5 setup etc.

Would this be the same for any form of RAID then?

For example, if I 'Ghosted' the exisiting data on the 36.4Gb HDD over to a 72.8Gb HDD and purchased another 72.8Gb HDD, creating a a mirror with the 641 controller. (I would then have more capacity, improved performance and redundancy.).

Would this not work?

Mike.
Sean Agostini

I was carrying out a similar upgrade (on Win2003) recently except I used ASR to restore my OS. The problem was that when I rebooted I got a blue screen (I've lost the record of the exact error). I eventually went back to my original configuration as rebuilding is not an option for me. I figure my problem is the MBR was different for the 641.
My config is as follows, HP ProLiant ML350 G3 Tower Server with single 36GB on hot plug backplane.
Planed to upgrade to 641 with single 36GB boot drive and RAID 5 72GB drives (three)
My original upgrade plan was as follows:
Install the 641 and boot windows (to make sure I have the drivers installed)
Power down and move cable from onboard SCSI to 641. (Was hoping to reboot here and viola! But no potatoes). Create RAID volume and did regular install using Smart Start CD.
Once basic OS is installed, proceed with the ASR. The first problem was, ASR would not recognize the hard drive at all (i.e. not partition found to do recovery to). I booted in Windows and open my ASR backup in the backup utility and did a recovery from there (i.e. did not use the ASR diskette, F2, etc.). That's when I get the blue screen. I did not play with the MBR, as mentioned above, as I was running out of time. But I suspect that this is the issue.
I hope this helps the guy that started the thread (one less thing to try) but any advice would also be appreciated.