1753259 Members
4742 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML350 G3 & W2K3 SP1

Mike Taggart_2
Occasional Contributor

ML350 G3 & W2K3 SP1

Is there anything that I need to install on the servers prior to upgrading to SP1 for W2K3?

I haven't found much of anything on HP's website regarding this and wanted to see if anyone ran into any issues.

Regards,

Mike
5 REPLIES 5
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: ML350 G3 & W2K3 SP1

Mike:

I would at leaste run the latest SSD (7.3a I think) AFTER SP1. You can even do it before SP1, but when you install SP1... there is a command line switch to tell the updater NOT to overwrite any OEM files. I would use this to make life easier otherwise you may have to "hang around" and watch the process complete.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Mike Taggart_2
Occasional Contributor

Steve,

Thanks for the reply - since I'm new to the HP world of doing things excuse my ignorance in my questions.

What is SSD? I'm guessing Smart Start Disk?

Do I do this from within Windows 2003 Server or during a reboot?

Thanks for your help.

Mike
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Mike:

That would be the PSP, Proliant Support Pack. SSD is the older name from the Compaq days, good habits are hard to break ;o)

Click here... http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/69_4678.html

and download the latest PSP 7.30A. You installing it while logged into a Windows session. Reboot afterwards.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Mike Taggart_2
Occasional Contributor

Thanks again for the help.

So after installing this and rebooting I can then install SP1 and continue on my ways.

Don't want to screw this up - it's our Exchange server! :)

Mike
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Mike:

There is never a 100% guarantee that things will work perfectly. Always have a backup of your system before you perform upgrades of drivers, patches and Service Packs.

In my experience, I have never seen a PSP / SSD hose up a box. That does not mean it can not happen.

So the answer is Yes, install the PSP and reboot. Afterwards install SP1 and reboot. If at any point you feel SP1 overwrote any files form the PSP, just re-apply the PSP and reboot again.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE