ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752852 Members
3824 Online
108790 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350 G3 compatability with IntraNetware 411??

David Kalling
Occasional Contributor

ML350 G3 compatability with IntraNetware 411??

I have been running a Proliant ML350 G1 system under Intranetware 411 for approximately 6 years. Unfortunately, the server crashed, and I have obtained an ML350 G3 with Hot-Swap array, and 4 72GB Hot Swap drives.

I have been attempting to install IntraNetware 411 on this system, but have not been able to get any Ethernet Adapters to be recognized. I have inserted various drivers that match the various adapters that I have been trying, including the integrated NC7760 adapter, but 411 will not allow any LAN driver to load.

I have test installed a version of NW 6.5 (OES) and all of the LAN drivers load and the OS runs fine. However, I have a 250 user license for NW-411 but only a 5-user license for NW 6.5.

Am I correct in assuming that NW 411 is NOT compatable with the ML350 G3 server? Is there some work-around that I can acquire?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.
Dave Kalling
4 REPLIES 4
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi, couldn't find any listing of the supported servers for netware 4.x

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=3279705тМй=en&cc=us&taskId=135&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=316537

Indicates that 5.1 is supported with ML350 G3, have you tried those drivers too?

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/netware/supportmatrix/index.html

Is the website for supported operating systems.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=316537&prodNameId=3279705&swEnvOID=210&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-UNITY-I20201

is another driver, again starts with NW 5 :/
David Kalling
Occasional Contributor

Hi Johan and thanks for your prompt response. I have actually visited all of these sites prior to my post, and have downloaded and tried all of the indicated drivers. Also drivers from the Intel site for one of their Adapters...PRO/1000 MT Dual Adapter. I have thus far had no luck with any of these.

I have loaded and tested my Eval copy of NW_6 SBS and it loads and recognizes all of the drivers that I have been trying. Unfortunately, I only have a 5-user license which will be expiring in a few days from now.

If you by chance know of anyone that has a license that they might not be using, and would be willing to part with, I am interested.
Thanks,
Dave K.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Sorry no don't know anyone (besides you) that is running netware :/
David Kalling
Occasional Contributor

FYI - I have made some progress with this issue, but it is not over yet.

After much research on sites such as Intel, I found indications that there were at LEAST three NLM's that were too outdated to support the GB adapter(s) that I had been working with.

These were: EtherTSM, MSM, and NBI (NLM's). I made copies of these and copied them into the C:\NWSERVER directory of the server. This ALMOST worked, but not quite, as I am sure that there were other NLM's that also would need to be updated. (All of these probably exist on the SP9 that I had installed on the G1 server when it crashed, but do NOT exist on the original Installation CD's. (If anyone knows a way to actually INSTALL NW 4.11 from the SP-9 CD, than this might allow the successful installation on the G3).

The next thing that I did was dig out an older 10/100 Linksys adapter, and installed it into the ML350 G3. With this in place, I was able to get the OS loaded to the point that I could LOAD MONITOR, INSTALL, etc.

However, I was unable to actually complete the installation, because the NW 4.11 CD's apparently did not have support for the HP Smart Array Controller 532 that is installed in the G3 Server. This of course meant that no hard-drives could be found. I played around with trying to figure out what files, etc. I still might need to copy directly from the SP-9 CD onto C:\NWSERVER, but after several more hours, I simply gave up this effort for the time being, and have resorted to installing a 25-user NW 6 that I had in my "stash".

I will work on this at a later date..(near future)...after I get my office server back into production. (I do have a second G3 that I have since picked up, with the intention of this becoming a backup. I will try to complete my efforts with IntraNetware 4.11...just because...and I will post my results.

Thanks for looking and for any suggestions.

Dave Kalling