cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ML350 G3 from SCSI -> RAID

Jouni Koivuneva
Occasional Visitor

ML350 G3 from SCSI -> RAID

I`ve server now with one 36,4GB scsi-drive and I`m going to change the system to two same-size disk RAID1 system.I know there is way to build it without destroying the OS and all the data in my main disk. Does anyone know how?
3 REPLIES
Janine Bertolo
Honored Contributor

Re: ML350 G3 from SCSI -> RAID

Hello;

As long as your existing hard drive is currently on an array controller and configured for RAID0, you can migrate it to RAID1 using the Array Configuration Utility.

You cannot move a drive from a regular dumb scsi controller to an array controller and retain your data though.

So the question is, which controller are you using now?

Janine
To get results you've never had before, try something you've never tried before.
e4services
Honored Contributor

Jouni,

In the above reply it was the first time I have ever heard the Adaptec SCSI controller as "dumb", but I also think that the reply is incorrect. We have performed this operation successfully here, on this exact machine on which I type.
The key point is to never "Initialize" the array once you have inserted your data drive. This will format over the existing data. If I remember correct you create a RAID 0 first, add your drive, then add the second drive and increase the RAID level to 1.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Martin Breidenbach
Honored Contributor

If you connect a drive that contains data on it and that was not formatted by a Smart array controller to a Smart array controller then the array controller will overwrite the first track (including the partition table) because that's where it stores the RAID configuration. This will erase all data.