108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350 G3 server can no longer boot, says no SCSI boot device found

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kisenha
Occasional Contributor

ML350 G3 server can no longer boot, says no SCSI boot device found

My ML350 g3 server has bee working fine for years, however now it can no longer boot. It says "No SCSI boot device found" "SCSI bios not installed". Please advice. I really need this server
4 REPLIES 4
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

ML350 G3s were sold in several configurations, so the model number does not tell quite enough. Does your system have a SmartArray RAID controller or not?

If the system does not have a SmartArray RAID controller, then the message indicates that your system disk has probably died.

If the disk fails its own internal self-test, the disk's electronics can separate it electrically from the SCSI bus. The result is that the server does not see the disk at all. If a disk fails like this, it may be impossible to recover any data from the disk without special equipment and knowledge. There are data recovery companies specialized for this, but they tend to be rather expensive. First make an estimate of the data's worth to you, and decide what to do based on it.

There are some tricks that may allow a failing disk to start up one more time (cooling a disk to freezing temperatures before start-up attempt, spinning the disk in your hands to un-stick any sticking bearings by inertia). Use Google to find further descriptions if you wish to try them. If you can get the disk to spin up and be accessible, *immediately* back up all important data - the disk is obviously on its last legs and may fail for good at any moment.

If you do have a SmartArray and you have nothing connected to the system board's internal SCSI controller, the message may not be important. The problem is, why is the system not booting from the SmartArray then? Check the BIOS settings: which controller is used to boot the system?

If the setting has changed with no apparent reason, the battery that supplies power to the real-time clock and the BIOS configuration memory (CMOS) may be getting low. If this is the case, the quick fix is to correct the BIOS settings as necessary at every boot; the long-term solution is to get a new battery.

MK
MK
Kisenha
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Matti for your reply. The system has a SmartArray controller, so I need to check BIOS settings. However the system does not prompt me to press F9 to enter the BIOS during the startup sequence. Please assist.
simbora

Dear Mr.Maltti

After reading your message related with HP Proliant ML 350 G3 server then my error message are the same you mentioned.

On Monday last week, i decided re install window server 2003 and i also deleted logical drive in SmartArray and try to re install win 2003 but during POST system alerts that "No SCSI boot device found".
i now don't have ML350 G3 Bootable CD comes along with me. so as your mentioned in message need to check BIOS setting.
anyway, i will check this option and pls assist me if you have other solution.

Thanks
Sim Bora

Jeff153

Hello Matti, I have an ML350 G3 with the smart array Raid Controller. I have RAID 0 set on two SCSI disks and the disks check OK when Smart Array checks them. I installed a SATA controller to add new HDDs and DVD drive, and since I did that the Smart Array will not boot the Linux OS. I am getting a GRUB promt line. Which indicates a faulty system usually... Any thoughts on why I would be getting this? Also I do not get promted to enter BIOS at any point unless I remove the Smart Array controller and move it to a different slot. Anything you can suggest would be a great help.