1752749 Members
5017 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML350 G3 with RILOE II Card: Virtual Power Button cable not detected

Lucas Neumann

ML350 G3 with RILOE II Card: Virtual Power Button cable not detected

Hi,

we have a ML350 G3 with two Xeon 2.8GHz CPUs an 6GB of RAM installed and we can't get the RILOE II card to work properly.

Everything but the virtual power button and virtual media feature works fine. If I try to power down the server or reset it, i get an error message like "virtual power error, vpb cable not detected". If I try to open the virtual media applet, I get the error message "30-pin cable not connected", or so.

As the RILOE II Support Matrix says, the server is fully compatible, it doesn't matter in which slot the card is installed and it doesn't need external power. The 30-pin ribbon cable is connected properly to the system board and the RILOE II board.

The RILOE II Board (incl. Virtual Power and virtual media) works normally in a DL360 G2.

Any idea? Could the RILOE II Board be defective? Or maybe the server system board...?

Thank you
5 REPLIES 5
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Re: ML350 G3 with RILOE II Card: Virtual Power Button cable not detected

hi

let me see, that card works fine in Dl360 G2?
if so... is the server up to date? I mean System ROM?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Lucas Neumann

yes, system board ROM is up to date (i didn't find anything newer than 2004), the RILOE II board also has the newest firmware..
dms_1
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

if you are using KVM switch - test the virtual power button option without the switch.

Make sure you installed the cable correctly:

Installing a Virtual Power Button Cable (4-pin)
To enable the Virtual Power Button feature of the RILOE II on servers that use a four-pin connector on the server system board, install the Virtual Power Button cable (4-pin) (PN 160011-001):
1. Power down the server and disconnect all power cords to remove power from the server.
22 Remote Insight Lights-Out Edition II User Guide
2. Connect the four-pin connector on the cable to the Virtual Power Button cable connector, located on the rear of the RILOE II.
3. Connect the four-pin connector on the other end of the cable into the four-pin connector on the server system board.
IMPORTANT: Be sure that you do not connect the Virtual Power Button cable to the speaker connection on the server system board.
NOTE: For detailed instructions on the location of the connector on the server system board, refer to the documentation provided with the server.
4. Refer to the server documentation to reassemble the server.

Installing a Remote Insight Cable (30-pin)
To install the Remote Insight cable (30-pin) (P/N 241793-010):
1. Power down the server and disconnect all power cords to remove power from the server.
2. Connect the 30-pin connector on the Remote Insight cable to the Remote Insight connector (30-pin), located on the edge of the board.
3. Connect the 30-pin connector on the other end of the Remote Insight cable to the 30-pin Remote Insight connector on the server system board.
Installing the RILOE II
NOTE: For detailed instructions on the location of the connector on the server system board, refer to the documentation provided with the server.
4. Refer to the server documentation to reassemble the server.
Lucas Neumann

The ML350 G3 needs the 30 pin cable and it is installed correctly. maybe there are some dip switches we have to activate? i cant find anything in the manuals (online).
Lucas Neumann

How do you mean this: test without a kvm switch.. how could a kvm switch interrupt the vpb feature or the virtual media feature? certainly it's irrelevant, we don't have a kvm switch connected to this server :)