108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ML350 G4 Can't boot any disk

simonaspas
Occasional Visitor

ML350 G4 Can't boot any disk

Hello and thank you in advance:

I have absolutely no experience with servers. Here's what happened:

Powered on server, then inserted smartstart CD everything launched etc... canceled installation and restarted.

Then I formated all drives, 3x scsi in rom array utility and 2x sata drives in raid controller if it makes any difference. So after that I just poped in same CD into cd rom but nothing happens, it checks cd-rom to boot but nothing happens.

Please help, thank you. 

edit:
Tried another Smartstart disk, windows serv 2003 disk and windows 8 disk, none of them are recognised.

4 REPLIES 4
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Check if there are errors during POST. If there are errors, then refer to the ProLiant server troubleshooting guide for more information. Click here to access the troubleshooting guide.

As the server does not boot from the optical drive, and known working media swapped, then it is possible that the optical drive may have issues. To isolate the issue, reseat cable connections on the optical drive and that on the system board. If the issue persists, then swap the cables. For the location of IDE connector, refer to item no.6 of the System Board Components diagram on page 40/55 in the server’s maintenance and service guide. Click here to access the guide.

If the issue persists, then swap the optical drive. If optional Remote Insight Lights-Out Edition II has been installed with advanced license, then check if the server can be booted from virtual media.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

simonaspas
Occasional Visitor

I tried reseating cables no result, it may be cd rom issue I just didn't want to accept that because one minute it worked next minute it refused to work.

P.S. Will sata cd-rom work if Ill connect it to intel raid card?
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Intel SATA RAID connectors for the hard drive are designed for the hard drive and hence it is recommended not to install the optical drive connector in those slots.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

epretorious
Regular Advisor

1. Be sure to check the boot order setting in the BIOS.
2. Have you considered trying an external USB CD/DVD drive? I keep one around for ocassions such as these.

HTH,
Eric Pretorious