ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753529 Members
4899 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350 G4 Over heating.

Jorge Samayoa

ML350 G4 Over heating.

I have severals ML 350 with the problem of overheating. I change the main board and the processor of some of them, but I dont know if there are some issue related to this models of server with this problem
5 REPLIES 5
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Jorge,

Get HP to replace the CPU heatsink and fan assemblies on your systems (One for each CPU you have installed). They can be installed the wrong way round and cause the overheat problem. New heatsink/fan assemblies have a locating pin which stops the assembly being fitted the wrong way round.

The HP spare part number (For Service Repairs) is 366866-001. You can quote this part number when logging a call. Try one system which you know has the problem first. Log a call and get the heatsink/fan assemblies replaced on this system. If this proves to be the problem (which it probably will be) then log calls for all other suspect systems. Since these are G4's you are covered by the existing HP warranty.

I hope this helps.

Brian

Jerry Leinsing
Frequent Advisor

Brian
We have quite a few of these we have integrated for customers. One is acting weird and HP is going on site as a suspected bad hard drive or controller.
What is a visual indicator that the thing is 180 degrees turned? Why does it make a difference?
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Jerry,

As far as I know the way you tell is that the fan on the heatsink should be on the media bay side of the processor (at the front) and not the memory side.

I hope this helps,

Brian

Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Jerry,

Just to add to your question which I had forgotten to answer. If the fan is normally at the front it will be pulling cold air from the front of the server over the CPU and memory dimms and then out through the back.

I'm guessing that if it's on the other side it will be trying to push warm air from the inside of the chassis towards the front of the system. This will not only eventually overheat the CPU but the memory dimms won't be getting the benefit of the fan either.

Regards,

Brian
Emanuele Roserba

Here in Italy I received a lot of ML350G4 without the CPU air baffle, with subsequent overheating problems (CPU sensor near 80 C during normal operation).

Installing the air baffle reduced the temperature of about 20 degrees, solving the problem.

I Cannot remember the part number for the baffle now, but I can provide it if needed.