1752651 Members
5622 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350 G4 Raid controller

Dave Riverbend
Occasional Advisor

ML350 G4 Raid controller

Hi, I am looking to verify what type of software i can control this raid with. I am planning on wiping this Raid 1 out, adding drives and setting up Raid 1 (OS) and Raid 5 (data).
I am unable to get to any Raid config with either F8 or SmartStart. So i assume there is a 3rd party controller.
Physically there are 6 scsi drives connected to the scsi bus on the board. On boot i see that there is an LSI Logic 1030 controller, but i see no add on card for this.
How do i verify what controller is actually being used now?
Thanks in advance.
9 REPLIES 9
sanesh vig
Valued Contributor

Hi Dave,

ML350 G4 comes standard with either one of the following:

1)Integrated Dual Channel U320 SCSI Adapter
2)Smart Array 641 Controller (Standard in Array Models only)

It seems you are using the integrated scsi adpater(LSI Logic 1030 controller), however you could confirm that during POST. Controller should be initialised just before you see the HDD information.

Aslo if you are not able to see any information about the controller using smart start then just goes to show that the server does not have any smart array controller. SCSI adapters are not detected\supported by smart start.

Regards,
Sanesh
Dave Riverbend
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply,
How would i go about getting into a raid config?
sanesh vig
Valued Contributor

Is there any Raid pre configured on this server ?
Dave Riverbend
Occasional Advisor

What confuses me is that it seems this server is not set up with an on board or 3rd party RAID controller, yet it is currently using RAID level 1. I am sure this is my lack of understanding the setup, but in a nutshell, how do i verify the RAID controller and get into config?

Thanks again.
sanesh vig
Valued Contributor

Storage controller should be detected during POST

ACU is also an option , but you dont get it there as mentioned earlier.

Check in Device manager!
Dave Riverbend
Occasional Advisor

Thanks sanesh, apparently i have a software raid set up. The board is not capable of raid. I guess i will have to learn how to set up raid from within the OS. Have a great day.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

can you get into your BIOS (RBSU) and check boot order controller option and let us know which controller you have

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
e4services
Honored Contributor

Well, you have got to be right, probebly a Windows Soft-Mirror. But you can not set up a RAID 5 through software, you will need to add a RAID controller.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Dave Riverbend
Occasional Advisor

Thanks all,
I guess i will use this server for the IT bench and squash the RAID set up.