1752703 Members
5815 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350 G4 SCSI bus fault - downshifted drives

Kevin_R2
Occasional Advisor

ML350 G4 SCSI bus fault - downshifted drives

Have an ML350 G4 with 6 Ultra-320 10K 72gb drives in the bay. Receiving Event viewer note below about downshifting. Four of the drives (the four on the first controller slot) are being downshifted to Narrow (8-pin), giving me Ultra-2 speeds (40MB/s) on the array (as confirmed in diagnostics, ACU and HDTune). I have removed and reseated everything hoping it was a loose connection. Possible suspects include a hard drive, the cage, cables. How can I test what speed the controller uses when a HD is disconnected without removing each booting into windows and then needing to wait for the array to rebuild? Any other troubleshooting steps?

On startup, receive an event in Event Viewer:
Source: CPQCISSE
Event ID: 24683
SCSI bus fault occurred on Storage Box box 0, , Port 0 of Array Controller in slot 3.
This may result in a "downshift" in transfer rate for one or more hard drives on the bus.

Attached is Diagnostics report. Of interest:
The storage enclosure's and Drive Cage:
4 U160 Disabled Critical

And on the physical drives:
5 Wide SCSI Down Shifted to Narrow SCSI Warning
8 REPLIES 8
Kevin_R2
Occasional Advisor

Reports attached.
Graeme Bray
Regular Advisor

Couldn't read the report, but you may want to check your drives against this advisory...

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?locale=en_US&objectID=c00859596
Kevin_R2
Occasional Advisor

Unfortunately the drives are 10K, and not on the list.

I can't say when it started as I have not managed this system before, but the logs show it not being a recent problem.
Graeme Bray
Regular Advisor

I would definately try to upgrade the firmware on those drives. They are currently at HPB0 (Drives 1 and 2). The latest for that is HPB4. The second drive is at HPB6 (latest).

I would also highly recommend updating the 641 controller firmware. It's super old - 2.26. Latest version is 2.84. When you upgrade the firwmare for the drives it will upgrade the 641 controller firmware.

As always though, be sure you have a good backup before upgrading anything.
cnb
Honored Contributor

Hi Kevin,

Drives in 1:4 & 1:5 reported timeouts, which will downshift the SCSI bus speed in your version of SA641 firmware. This is fixed in later 641 firmware code.

Update your Smart Array and Disk Drive Firmware to the latest versions. You might want to use the Update CD and make sure everything else is updated to the latest versions.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=348490&taskId=135&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=3745263&submit.y=10&submit.x=7тМй=en&cc=us

Rgds,

Kevin_R2
Occasional Advisor

Updated all firmware, still experiencing same issues. Have reseated all the drives, and the cables.

Array Configuration is reporting:
Drives 0-3: Ultra 2 Narrow
Drive 4: Ultra 320 Wide
Drive 5: Ultra 2 Wide

The storage enclosure is showing:
4 U160 Disabled Critical

Drives 4 and 5 had a timeout, though I think drive 4 was from when I pulled it out while the machine was on.

Anymore suggestions?
Kevin_R2
Occasional Advisor

Updated all firmware, still experiencing same issues. Have reseated all the drives, and the cables.

Array Configuration is reporting:
Drives 0-3: Ultra 2 Narrow
Drive 4: Ultra 320 Wide
Drive 5: Ultra 2 Wide

The storage enclosure is showing:
4 U160 Disabled Critical

Drives 4 and 5 had a timeout, though I think drive 4 was from when I pulled it out while the machine was on.

Anymore suggestions?
Kevin_R2
Occasional Advisor

log