7164 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350 G4 server "Internal Health LED lits up"

Noor Ahmed
Occasional Advisor

ML350 G4 server "Internal Health LED lits up"

Hi,
This is noor from Jaffer Business Systems Pakistan, channel partner of hp├в ┬ж.

I am facing a problem in ML350 G4 server Dual Processor (in warranty) running win2003 Server.The ├в Internal health check LED lits red and ├в over temperature LED├в on System boards lits Amber. System performance has been degraded.

All FANS in the system are functioning. Attach is the screenshot of HP proliant Integrated management log viewer logs. Which shows error:

├в System Over heating(Zone3, Location CPU, Temperature 82C).├в

Room Temperature is normal i.e 18C.

System documentation refers to check and replace the faulty Fan, but none of the FAN is Faulty├в ┬ж..

There is no any LED lit red or amber on system board which refer the faulty part to be replaced.

I have replaced the Main System Board (Mother Board) but problem still exists.

Can u please suggest the prolem. Do we need to replace the processor?
11 REPLIES 11
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Noor,

You need to replace the heatsink/fan assembly on both CPU's. It is possible that at least one heatsink is positioned the wrong way round and the new heatsink part should come with a locating pin which ensures it is installed correctly. There are two models of the heatsink/fan assembly however.

Please order 2 X 366866-001 from HP.
This is an HP Spare part number for use on repairs.

I would also advise using a good quality thermal compound and apply some between the CPU and it's associated new heatsink.

Engineering are looking into this issue on the ML350G4 but it has been shown that the heatsink can be fitted incorrectly and cause the overheating.

I hope this helps.

Brian
Noor Ahmed
Occasional Advisor

Hi Brian,
Thanx 4 ur reply. it seems that it is a known problem with ML350G4 servers. I hv checked by interchanging the heat sinks of both processors but still there is overheating allthough FANs of both heat sink spin with equal speed.I hv noticed(with hand touch) that heat sink of upper processor heats up slightly more that lower processor heat sink.
I will first try to apply some thermal compound between prossors and heat sink.and try to readjust the position of heat sink.

There is a silver film attached at the bottom face of each heat sink which i think is a thermal compound, Can u pls. tell what kind of this material is???
Thanx for ur advise....

Rgds
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Noor,

If it uses a Thermal Pad it can only be used once as the idea of the newer style pads is to melt into the small cracks as the CPU heats up. The older style pads were OK with thermal compound but I believe you should not use thermal compound with the new style pads. It can be pad or compound only but not both. I suspect that the pad isn't doing a good enough job in this case however.

I will check the specification but the part number should come with a new pad in that case. I'm pretty sure the heatsink/fan assembly is the cause and you may have to experiment with good quality thermal paste and ditch the pad if you can't get replacements in time.

I will check on the progress of this issue.

Brian.

Noor Ahmed
Occasional Advisor

Hi Brian.

Thanx for ur guidance...I replaced the heat sinks and problem was rectified....

Rgds
Rick_197

Hi all,

Does anyone have any specifics or can point me to a web link with more information about this "known issue" of heatsink failures with ML350's?

I would greatly appreciate it.

Rick

Hi,

I seem to have the same problem here. We already installed additional fans on the server cabinet to get the cabinet temperature down, but still run into problems. With a maximum ambient temperature of 31├В┬░ C the processor temperature goes up to 82 degrees as well.
If the only problem is that the cooling block can be installed the wrong way around I am interested to know what is the right way so that I may recognise if I need to order new parts.

Does anybody know how to read processor temperature from the system? It would be interesting to see how high it is now and what effect changes have. My home pc has a small software utility for this, but I haven't yet found it on the server or in the documentation.

B/r

Marcel
The Netherlands
JohnYu

Hi all,

What does your thermal pad looks like?

My heat sink comes with a transparence plastic tape above the brown color soft pad on top of heat sink surface.

I agree that the thermal pad are supporsed to melt on CPU and heat sink. But with the transparence plastic tape on it, it never bind with the CPU.

The cooler we have had a grey 'paper/plastic-like' film on the base of the cooling surface. It was held in place by clear plastic tape around the edges, but not covered with plastic as with yours.
One thing is for sure. It did not melt on or bond to the processor surface even with the temperature increasing to alarm values (82 degrees).

B/R
Marcel
JohnYu

The CPU temperature can be read from two HP program:

1. HP system Management Homepage : Under "HOME > RECOVERY > ENVIRONMENT"

2. HP Insight Diagnostics : Under "SURVEY \ Internal Condition"