cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ML350 G4 vs ML150 G6 for database server

tong826
Occasional Advisor

ML350 G4 vs ML150 G6 for database server

Our existing SQL Server is an ML350 G4 with Dual Xeon 3.2GHz, 2GB RAM, and 3 x 72GB 15K SCSI on Raid 5. Would an ML150 G6 perform better? It's specs are Xeon E5520 (2.26 GHz, 8MB L3 Cache, 80W, DDR3-1066) with 4GB RAM, 2 x 146GB 10K SAS on Raid 1. Both have GB NIC. We have around 70 database users.
4 REPLIES
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Re: ML350 G4 vs ML150 G6 for database server

Hello,
it is quite sure you CPU performance will be better, Xeons 55xx are realy powerfull.
About your disk performence - if 146GB is enough for system, app and data, it should run better especially in write operation.
I should consider your read write ratio and setup array cache according it. As well, buy array with enough big cache, server you plan supports HP Smart Array P410/256MB RAID Controller - go for it, definitely no zero cache model. (order performance model or order even better array controler)
Also have on mind ML1xx model have lower "security and availability" = no redundant PSU in standard (but add-on available) - so consider criticality of your application.

Jan
Fran Garcia
Frequent Advisor

Throwing more/different hardware to a problem isn't necessarily the answer. If your database performs slow, you need to understand why. (IE: find you're maxing CPU usage, I/O usage, or simply the DB schema is poorly designed).

I'd invest some time understanding the performance problem in order to know where you need to spend your dollars :-) .
tong826
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the replies. Actually here is our whole setup. I have an HP Netserver which is still a P3 as an NT PDC with NT postoffice for internal mail. Then we have an ML350 G1 P3 933 MHz with 512MB RAM, 2x9GB and 2x72GB as file server, then the last on is ML350 G4 as SQL server. The PDC broke down and we are currently using a P3 Desktop as a temporary PDC. So I plan to replace it with a new server at the same time migrate to Active Directory. I have double thoughts about using the new hardware as the domain controller because of its high specs. That's why I was thinking of swapping server roles and use it as the DB server instead. And I think I also need to have a "backup" domain controller. Would the following setup suffice?
Server 1 (ML350 G1):
- DNS/WINS/AD
- POP3/SMTP mail server

Server 2 (ML350 G4):
- File Server (120 users)
- "Backup" DC

Server 3 (new server to be purchased):
- Database Server (70 users)

Do I need to have another server as backup AD? If so, could you suggest the specs and best setup?
I'm also pondering on purchasing rack servers instead to save on space, but I need to first decide on the server roles and how many servers I need. Thanks in advance.
tong826
Occasional Advisor

We finally bought a DL360 with almost the same specs as the ML150, just added 2 more drives and a redundant power supply. It also came with a free DL120. We haven't fully decided on the roles yet, but hopefully we'll figure it out.