ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748185 Members
3803 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350 G4p RAID5 Array becomes degraded

Jon Alden

ML350 G4p RAID5 Array becomes degraded

Our company has a ML 350 G4p with a 6 port HP SATA controller that has 4 500GB SATA drives and 2 80GB SATA drives. the 2 80GB drives are mirrored and the 4 500GB SATA drives are a raid 5 set.

What is happening is the Drive connected on Port 2 consistanly becomes degraded. We have replaced the drives 3 times. Replaced the SATA controller and even the backplane and the problem still continues to happen.

The HP technicians have told me that there is some kind of corruption on the RAID5 array. It seems like they are really just speculating but I wondered other than backing up the RAID5 array and deleting and recreating the array is there anything else that I can try.

Also do i need to reload the entire OS on the 80GB mirrored set? This never fails but they are suggesting I start from scratch. I don't have a problem doing this but it is just going to take more effort.

Any suggestions or further explanation of why this might be happening would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Jon A
5 REPLIES 5
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Jon,

#1 Is the Server on the latest Firmware ??
You may Download the Firmware Maintenance CD 7.91 & boot the Server; This will ensure that all components including Controller & Hard Drives are on the Latest firmware levels.

#2 Have you replaced the Cables yet ? You may wanna try them too.

Regards.
Jon Alden

Sorry i forgot to say that we have all the cables and upgraded the firmware to the latest version from the 7.91 disk. Also I am running windows 2003 Sp2 standard on the server.

The technician suggested after I back everything up I run diagnostics on the 500GB sata drives... I don't think he means the SATA utilities on the bios... is there a commercial tool or HP supplied tool to test the drives sector by sector?

Thanks,

Jon
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

& you may also download the Array Diagnostics Utility & post the report(notepad file) here.

Regards.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

hmm... Are you using a Smart array controller that supports SATA drive ? Only then this utility will pull details.

Regards.
Jon Alden

attached is the log file from the HP Storage Manager. I tried opening the smart array utility but I don't think this server has a smart array board installed in it...

Thanks for your help