ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752433 Members
6122 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ML350 G4p enable integrated SATA, support does not know?

daniel.h.persson

ML350 G4p enable integrated SATA, support does not know?

Been pulling my hair on this for a week now, as we say in Sweden...

We have a ML350 G4p with integrated Dual Channel UW SCSI and a Smart Array 642. The SCSI-disks work fine.

For extended storage I want to connect two SATA disk to the integrated SATA ports on the system board.

The system does not recognice the drives in any way. There is no SATA option what so ever in BIOS.

I have disconnected the SA 642 SCSI controller and disabled the integrated SCSI controllers but no difference.

HP support can not give me an answer if it is possible or not, and searching the net does not give me a definite answer either.

Found threads with people having the same problem as me but also people running a 350 G4p and using the integrated SCSI and SATA ports.

Is there a simple fix that I am missing?

The system board apparently have both SCSI and SATA controllers, why is there not an option in BIOS?

Just want to be 100 % sure that there is no way to enable the integrated SATA ports before investing in a separate SAS/SATA controller.

Many thanks,
Daniel
5 REPLIES 5
TTr
Honored Contributor

What is your OS? Check if there are any BIOS upgrades that might allow you to enable the SAS controller.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=3279709〈=en&cc=us&taskId=135&prodClassId=-1&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=459045

I vaguely remember reading that the sata controller is locked/hidden in the BIOS and a BIOS upgrade would allow you to enable it.
daniel.h.persson

Thank you,

Right now I am running Win 2008 R2, but have tried with 2003 too.

The OS does not see the disks or the SATA controller, neither do the SmartStart CD.

I already have the latest BIOS (D19) and there is no option for SATA in it.
daniel.h.persson

Been spending last 7 hours talking to HP and investigating this but I think I will give up now.

Why is there no documentation about this?

The server exist in both SCSI and SAS/SATA versions.

The only difference is the drive cage and P600 SAS/SATA controller card. (And the cabling etc.)

Otherwise these versions share the same system board and same BIOS ROM.

So where is the setting to change between either the integrated SCSI controller or integrated SATA controller?

How is that setting set during manufacturing of the server?

Do the P600 controller card in some way activate the integrated SATA controller? Doesnt sound reasonable but...
Stagecontrol

you need to enable the sata options controller which can be done by putting a jumper across the 2nd set of jumpers switchets by the pci express x4 it say sata model next to them , the 2nd set are the ones furthest away from edge of case

raptor_2
Occasional Visitor