ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ML350 G5 Disk issues

ML350 G5 Disk issues

I have posted before about a ML350 G5 in which I cannot get on of the disks in a 4 disk raid 1+0 setup to rebuild apparently due to errors.Possibility that maybe the SAS backplane causing issue. I have an identical server that is working. Can I move all the disks to the other server (power down both and switch drives) even though the setup is not the same in the array and test to see if it will rebuild on that backplane without any issues? Concern is Windows permissions but Windows is coming from the machine with issues anyway. I thought I would ask as this would help me locate the problem.
4 REPLIES
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Re: ML350 G5 Disk issues

Which RAID controller? Do you have a spare? Did it start rebuilding? How many drives failed?

Embedded E200i is the controller.1 disk has failed (bay1) and the disk that is supposed to rebuild reports errors(bay2) and aborts rebuild.I have changed the motherboard and it did not make a difference.Have tried 3 different drives in bay1 and no luck yet.

Well I decided to swap the enclosures and drives and problem of rebuilding still exists so I have a couple of crap drives and not 2 I can live without at the same time.With the 2 arrays setup, do I have to rebuild both or can I do a bare metal restore on just the 4 drive array as the 2 drive array is just file storage (no OS?) 2 new drives on the way....
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Cut & Paste from your own previous post

"Due to an unrecoverable read error, the recovery of logical drive 1 configured on array controller [Embedded] was aborted while rebuilding a physical drive."

The source drive is defective. There's no way it's ever will complete the rebuild.

You will have to rebuild this server from scratch, and you need to replace the "other" bad drive.

BR
/jag