Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ML350 G5 Disk issues

MichaelBerry
Occasional Visitor

ML350 G5 Disk issues

Hi,

We currently have an ML350 G5 which works fine for a while, and then all of a sudden the screen goes blank and the disks all flash simultaneously at the same time (as in all flash on, then off, on, off..) The power light is still green on the server and the fans are still running. We are unable to access the operating system via the network. Upon unplugging and powering the server back on the server starts up as normal and upon logging into the operating system it comes up with an unexpected shutdown dialog box. Looking in the event logs on the server there are no warnings / failures. It happened on the same server about 18 months ago with a raid 5 volume. After ghosting it to a raid 1 mirror with new disks this issue stopped, however it has started to happen again. Im a bit reluctant to say it is a disk issue as the original disks in the raid 5 have been used else where and are still working now.

Im starting to think its a controller issue; has anyone got any ideas or seen this issue before?

Any help is gratefully accepted.

1 REPLY
MiguelC
Frequent Advisor

Re: ML350 G5 Disk issues

Hi,

Let me try to help you, but report me the ghost you made from RAID 5 to RAID1 volume at my topic "ML 350 G3 Controller 641 Raid 5 Rebuild problems" maybe it can be my solution.
So your problem, Do you have only one RAID 5 array, or several different array´s, all disk flashing, in did can be controller with old firmware creating this problem, try to update to last firmware the machine, amd ran from last SmartStart the ACU/ADU and try testing disk and controller, other hardware can be examined for sure.
If you restart, forgot Windows events this is higher than your problem, your problem must remains at raid array disk, controller, or firmware, see first firmware is less expensive, and old firmware can produce problems, normally at new firmware releases they report the corrections.
Hope it helps
Please see my problem and explain me the Ghost you made from RAID 5 to RAID 1.
If you need more help let me know
Regards