1752616 Members
4492 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350 G5 PCI Bus Error

ncas
Occasional Advisor

ML350 G5 PCI Bus Error

I have 2 ML350 g5's and 1 of them has restarted 2 times in the last 2 weeks. The error that is registered is PCI Bus Error (Slot 3, Bus 0, Device 0, Function 0). There is nothing in slot 3, never was. no BSOD. both are in production and the 2nd server has been just fine. both are configured the same and built with the same software CD's. OS is windows 2003 enterprise with 6GB RAM. dual processors.

the only microsoft stuff is the OS and it has all of the latest patches and fixes. they went into production in June and have run great till now. we did restart the problem server 4 days ago for updates and the second restart happened yesterday.
20 REPLIES 20
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

ncas
Occasional Advisor

thanks - we updated the drivers and will wait and see if it runs for more than 2 weeks.
ncas
Occasional Advisor

server just restarted again since the update of the network card.

the restart happens at about the same time of day 11:04,11:05,11:03.

i do see a message that talks about the processors being mismatched but everything i have found so far shows them matching and the same message is on the other server.

i'm out of ideas of what to look for next.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi ncas

can you run a survey in your server, you have to use HP insight diagnostics - survey tab

select Advance - All in drop menus
to get all device information specially which component is this one "Slot 3, Bus 0, Device 0, Function 0"

I hope you run all drivers updates using Proliant Support pack 8.1 not only NIC drivers...???

also try this
use Firmware CD 8.2(FW CD) and update all once you do that update after System ROM since the latest version for system ROM is not included in that 8.2 CD
so do both not only the CD OK

link for FW CD 8.2
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121586&prodNameId=3279711&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-3d1aaa0b48c04b628789e598d3

link for the latest system ROM
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121586&prodNameId=3279711&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-ef86b18284b64e3b96b70c48b0

try and let us know
regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
ncas
Occasional Advisor

We ran the firmware cd, software pack, ROM updates, and windows updates while we were at it. We turned off ASR to see if we got a different result.

Everything ran good until this afternoon.

The system just stopped responding. The display output was nothing and we plugged in a USB mouse and the server didn├в t act like it saw it. All of the lights on the front of the server were green and the hard drive lights were blinking.

The message we see when the system restarted was PCI Bus Error (Slot 0, Bus 0, Device 0, Function 0). This is different than the original messages we saw. We also see a message about a processor registry entry that has an error that it can├в t read. I found the location and exported that key but I don├в t know how to read what it contains.

This system can not have any downtime it is a server used for dictation at a large facility so we are under a lot of pressure to make sure this does not happen again.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

so now message is this "PCI Bus Error (Slot 0, Bus 0, Device 0, Function 0"

it changed? right?

let me ask you have you called HP?
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
ncas
Occasional Advisor

yes it changed (was always slot 3 before)

we are calling hp today.
ncas
Occasional Advisor

we already applied the bios update

we are opening a ticket with HP later today