1753784 Members
7098 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350 G5 PCI Bus Error

Jim_214

NCAS,

I am having a similar issue with a DL380G5 that is running Windows 2003 SP2 and Cisco UNITY. Did you ever get a resolution to this issue with your call to HP?
ncas
Occasional Advisor

Jim,

we are still having a problem. HP replaced the system board on 9/23 and it ran for 20 days, with a planned restart oct 1 and now its happened 4 times this week. last being 3 hours ago. we think we have traced it to a system load issue, but its had more work other days and never failed. we ran all the updates on every piece harware and software we could find. still have not seen a dmp file created by microsoft. we turned ASR off again.

look like replacement is our next option.

Jim_214

Thank you for the quick response, NCAS. This server has had this error a couple of times, including once during 'burnin' before the OS, etc. was loaded so I think we may have a 'lemon' that is going to get replaced.
r14edge

Hello NCAS,

I'm a bit in the same situation as you. I have a ML350 G5 in production that gives me PCI bus errors and headache. I've updated my system firmware and drivers, and I still got this issue. After calling HP, they suggested 2 possibilities.

1- My server might run a third party software that makes the server crash. To take actions, I move the only third party software that might cause crashs and its been 4 days now without any reboot. That will make sense if the load theory you describe is real.

2- The second point HP suggest me was the OS itself. I'm also running a W2K3 enterprise server with 9 GB of RAM and a single XEON processor. They suggest running a check on the system files to replace corrumped ones. So far, I havent done nothing on that side.

Just a quick question, did HP told you they will replace your system or it's you who will replace it? If its not too impolite, can you tell me when did you bought your system?

Thank you for your help,
ncas
Occasional Advisor

System replacement will be on our own.

We have been running at a reduced capacity and have slowly adding more load to try and find a failure point. We did add a dual port network card since the slot number changed from 3 to 0 after we flashed the onboard network card. I guess out of desperation more than anything else.

We were told the 3rd party software possibility also but removing what we have installed would make the server useless to the customer.

We are operating on 4GB of memory, disabled DEP and PAE. We had 6GB at the start.

Our goal is to have it run for 30 days without a restart and we are on day 6.

Purchased the servers in April of this year.
r14edge

Thanks for your reply NCAS. The third party solution didn't not work for us. In a desperate move, we had HP changed our system board today althought I doubt it will work. The other possibility they mention was the Windows itself. How to debug a OS when all you have is that PCI bus error message?

So it's back to day 1 in our case. And we will investigate the OS option. If we found a solution to this, I will let you know.

Thanks
Mike Jakemer

I have the same issue. ML350 G5, exact error you are getting. (PCI BUS ERROR (Slot 3, Bus 0, Device 30, Function 0)) Have been having issue sporadically for about a year. Happens many times then goes away for months then comes back again. HP has replaced Mainboard, told us to update BIOS, FIRMWARE, DRIVERS...to no avail. Been on phone with them today for over 2 hours so far. This server could not be any more simple. Windows 2003 R2 32 Bit, 3 GB, RAID 5 3x72's, Exchange server 2003, nothing fancy. All generalized error messages point back to Hardware Malfunction...even BSOD indicates Hardware but HP. Any luck finding a solution?
Dana Racine 1
Occasional Contributor

I was getting this error as well. It is a software error in the chipset drives, NOT a hardware error. I had called HP, and had to really bust them because they kept telling me to run diags, but I told them that this was for a device that didn't show up in Insight Manager "PCI Devices". Then I had the guy look in their internal "Red" database of internal docs, and type in the PCI device info, and he sent me a copy of an article saying that the Intel 5000P chipset drivers need to be updated. Here is the link they sent (this is for 2003, you will have to search for 2008):

. Click here to go to the Intel Download Center Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility webpage (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=816&OSFullName=Windows+Server*+2003+Standard+EditionтМй=eng&strOSs=94&submit=Go%21)
ghassen
Occasional Advisor

hi
update bios ,if you have the same issue replace the mother board.
REGs
stacy bolton

Are there any updates to this post? I am receiving the same error - PCI Bus Error (Slot 0, Bus 0, Device 0, Function 0) - on 2 separate ML350 G5's