ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751894 Members
5207 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML350 G5 Power Supply Issue

MammothMan

ML350 G5 Power Supply Issue

Hello, I have a problem with my Proliant ML350 G5 server. The other day I unplugged both power cords from the unit as I wasn't using the server in awhile (It's just a home test server). Today I plugged them both back in but only one PSU has the green light when powered on. The other PSU has no light on the back of it when on. The front of the unit has a flashing amber light on the front, on the External health LED.

The server powers on fine obviously as one PSU is working but is this a problem to just have one PSU? I noticed they are pretty expensive to replace and being a college student, I have to watch my spending.

One weird thing I just noticed while doing the HP Insight Diagnostics from the SmartStart CD (Says both power supplies are fine on the diagnostics (Power supply status test)) was with both power supplies plugged in, and only one working, when I unplug the one that isn't working, I hear the fans inside of it kick on. It is almost like if there is power going to it, the fans stop working but when there is no power, the fans work.

Any idea what's going on? I know it isn't the actual power supply slot as I put the working PSU in the non-working PSU's slot and it works fine. It's just strange that this is happens after I removed the cords and put them back in. Also, when I unplug the cord to the PSU that isn't working, it makes several *click click* noises.

Another thing I just tried was removing the PSU that shows no power going to it, while the machine was running. When I removed it, I heard the "broken" PSU's fans come to a stop then when I put it back in, I heard the fans coming on at a steady force.

The working PSU gets pretty warm, I don't know if that is normal but should I just leave the broken PSU out or in? If I leave it in, I hear the fans work in it so it acts as added cooling but then I have a flashing amber light on the front of the system whereas if I leave the broken PSU out, all the lights on the system are green.

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
Lincy_Zachariah
Valued Contributor

Re: ML350 G5 Power Supply Issue

Hi,

Please confirm if both Power supplies were working fine before.

Few steps you can try:

1. try swapping the power supplies and check for any change in the system behavaiour

2. Swap the power cables and check.

3. Try powering up the server with single power supply at a time to make sure the power supply is not faulty.

Infomration on LED Status :

External health LED (power supply)

Green = Normal

Amber = Power redundancy failure

Red = Critical power supply failure

Power supply LED

Green = Power supply is on and functioning

Off = No power or inadequate power supply Thanks & regards,

Goutham_Sabala
Esteemed Contributor

Re: ML350 G5 Power Supply Issue

Hi

I see that you have pretty much done all the pre-diagnosis by yourself

The server powers on fine obviously as one PSU is working but is this a problem to just have one PSU?

> You can continue to use the server with just one PSU 

it makes several *click click* noises

> Power supplies when gone bad makes clicking noise sometimes like a failed hard drive - looks like it is failed, though Insight Diagnotics doesnt show it as failed, from the symptoms looks like you got a failed psu

I don't know if that is normal but should I just leave the broken PSU out or in? 

> I would say keep it out, If it is not doing any good to the server it definitely may affect the psu backplane

Lastly G5 servers have PSU issues and PSUbackplane issues, IMHO you should remove the broken PSU as it is a home/testing server and let the server run . I hope this has helped

Was the post useful? Say thanks by clicking the white KUDOS Star!
Goutham Sabala