Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ML350 G5 RAID controller

cbstoner2k
Occasional Visitor

ML350 G5 RAID controller

Hello

I have a Proliant ML350 G5 server with E200i raid controller.  I am trying to expand the current array (RAID1) to a 4 disk RAID5.  When I put in the two new drives, they blink red/orange and status shows imminent failure.

I upgraded firmware and system roms, drivers, etc for all related hardware.  Updated the ACU.

It shows no "expand array" function anywhere.  It will let me create a new array from the two new drives, but nothing else.  I have been reading pages for hours and cannot figure out the problem.  

The controller does have the 128mb  BBWC installed.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!! Thank you very much!

4 REPLIES
ImReallySmart
Occasional Advisor

Re: ML350 G5 RAID controller

So you have two disks in a Raid1, and want to use those plus two new disks and create a Raid5?  I don't think you can do that with an E200i without first deleting your Raid1 volume, which will then allow those two to be used in a new Raid volume.  That will mess up info you have on those two drives I believe, so backing things up prior will be key.

gregersenj
HPE Pro

I believe it's the emminent drive failure, that caurse the problem. 

You have to solve that.

Should not be a problem to migrate from RAID 1 to 5.

But backup, is a must, prior to messing with the RAID. Safety measure.

BR

/jag

cbstoner2k
Occasional Visitor

Thank you very much for your responses.  I have obtained two new drives, which now are found without error, those other two were "working system pulls", which obviously had incompatibilities.

Now the two new drives are in but the ACU still only gives me RAID0 and RAID1 as options for expansion.  I have searched and scoured but cannot find the way to add disks to an array... I know it's possible from the documentation, but there's no definiitive procedure on how it's done (that I can find, anyways).

Thank you!!

gregersenj
HPE Pro

Once you have installed the drives, and they are healthy.

You must add the new drives to the existing Array = Expand Array.

You must select the array, then you get the option.

Once the drives has been added. You can create a new logical drive, extend the existing logical drive or do a RAID level migration.

Beware, once you have added the drives they can't be removed again. So get your calculations correctly.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/24654442/HP-Smart-Array-Controllers-Configuring-Arrays-Reference-Guide

BR

/jag