108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350 G5 - Replacement Drive

SOLVED
Go to solution
jmuse
Visitor

ML350 G5 - Replacement Drive

Greetings. I apologize ahead of time if this is a stupid question.

So, I have an ML350 G5 with an E200i that had one failed drive. I purchased a couple of replacement drives that were also Seagate ST3250310NS, but differed as to serial number and firmware. The first replacement drive worked fine for two months, then failed with hard read errors; the second failed after a week with not ready errors.

So, I'm wondering if:

1. I just bought bad drives (I haven't had the chance to test them anywhere else).
  2. I didn't match the drives adequately. Should I be hunting for a GB0250EAFJF, as is shown in the System Management Homepage?
  3. Is something else wrong? Any suggestions on where I should look?

Thank for your help!

Josh

3 REPLIES 3
MiguelC
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

See your problem and best pratice is use raid disks with same firmware installed, if you buy two new replacement disk and get this problems it can be firmware incompatibility.

Hope it helps

MiguelC
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Hello Waiting for my problem maybe I can help yours. For single drives you must analyze controller connector, drive cage connector change to other, if you are using cage 2 position, try using other available position expl. 6. Many hard read errors, the ML350 G5 reports all ok ? run Smart Start use ADU to get all information. Some disk are prepared to work at server hard access systems, others no, when you buy a disk see the factory specifications, for instance Western have enterprise disks , but also 3 kinds of disk for desktop, all with same capacity, using desktop HD┬┤s you increase the possibility of damage and failures GB0250EAFJF is one disk to work at Hot Plug it must be enterprise model or similar. With smart start CD or DVD you can analyze the new disk report and if it is compliant. Hope it helps 

jmuse
Visitor

Thank you for the help Miguel. As you suggested, I'm aiming for disks that more thoroughly match the originals. We'll see if that alleviates the problem. If not, I'll take a closer look at the specifics. Thanks again!