5131 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350 G5 SAS Drive Types

Adrian Bolster
Occasional Advisor

ML350 G5 SAS Drive Types

Hi,
I have just purchased an ML350 E5320 with a SAS RAID controller. Think I have ordered the wrong drive type. I have ordered a DP drive, will this drive work in the controller and just not be hot plug, or will I have to return it?
8 REPLIES 8
pabusa
Advisor

What's you mean with DP drive... SAS drive are 2.5 SF, and SATA are 3.5 LF....

What's you mean with DP drive?

Adrian Bolster
Occasional Advisor

Dual port, SP is single port and I guess HP is hot plug. The question is with a HP array can I use any drive, or must I use HP?
pabusa
Advisor

Even more... I have just bought a ML350... and the SAS Raid controller, support both SAS and SATA disk, however it depends on your "hard disk box"... I have seen your model, and it comes with 2.5 boxes for hard disk... both SAS or SATA... so what do you mean with DP drivers ????
You need SAS or SATA drives but reduced form hard disks (2.5)

Your have to know that 2.5 disks are more expensive, and the usually support less capacity...
Adrian Bolster
Occasional Advisor

eh? What exactly are you getting at? HP have SAS drives with sub type (if that is the correct terminology) of either DP, SP or HP.
The drive housing I have will house 2.5" drives and that is what I have ordered, I was just asking about the compatability of the different types of 2.5" SAS drives.
pabusa
Advisor

Well I had the same question when I bought an ML350 for my client... HP disk... or common brands disks...????

So, to avoid problems, I bought SATA 3.5 HP disk (500GB) (much more expensive than common brands..., I don't want to know how much could be in 2.5 SAS disk)... well now I have the server and the "HP disks", you must know that those disk are SEAGATE just with a brand with HP Certificate...

Another thing is that if you put those disk by your own... in case server problems... what could be the HP response with the garantuee ???

Another thing is that you also will need HP hot boxes for your server...
----------------------------
Please... a short question, it is the first time for me to setting up this server... and with de SamrtStart assistant, I have to write dates for Insight Manager... just something like this:

1- "Comunity Monitor String"
2- "Comunity Center String"
3- "IP Address of Traps Server"

I don├В┬┤t have idea.. help me...

Adrian Bolster
Occasional Advisor

You can use any disc that is compatible with the array controller and drive cage. You may need to purchase the correct caddys for the bare drives. We did this with a Dell server recently and it worked a treat. Generic hot swap SCSI drives in a Dell caddy I'm sure the same will work with HP servers.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

Adrian

yes you can the idea of having DP HDDs is for storage systems but you won't have any issue using either SP or DP HDD

I think DP are more expensive that SP main difference

so you can use no problem at all.

so it will work in your controller and it will be Hot plug too

more about SP - DP
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1210934
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1212724956446+28353475&threadId=1230292
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1201829

regards

Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Adrian Bolster
Occasional Advisor

I needed the drive in a hurry and the only one in stock was a DP drive! So I ordered that one...