ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ML350 G5 SAS/SATA cable to work with standard 3.5" SATA drives installed in other bays.

Charles Waters
Occasional Visitor

ML350 G5 SAS/SATA cable to work with standard 3.5" SATA drives installed in other bays.

I have an ML350 G5 which has the two cables coming off the motherboard which are labled SAS/SATA 1 and 2. I assume that there is a SATA controller on the motherboard to support this?

I have some standard 3.5" SATA drives that I installed in the available drive bays and would like to use the onboard controller (because ESXi will recognize it), but there is no way to connect devices other than the 2.5' SAS drivers that fit into the onboard drive bay.

Is there a converter cable to break out several SATA connections from those onboard connectors? Like an octopus cable or something?
3 REPLIES
Satish Keshava Murthy
Occasional Visitor

Re: ML350 G5 SAS/SATA cable to work with standard 3.5" SATA drives installed in other bays.

Hi Charles,

Firstly the controller integrated on the System board is a Smart Array E200i SAS Controller.

The Smart Array E200i SAS controller supports both SAS and SATA Drives
Check Quick Specs for the server:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12475_div/12475_div.html

Note: Server only supports HOT PLUGGABLE Hard Disk Drives.

1) Where have you placed/installed the 3.5â drives
2) As per description understand that you have a 2.5â drives cage and need to install 3.5â drives or which you would need a LFF Drive cage.
3) Server comes in two models, SFF Drive cage and LFF Drive cage. Sorry to say there is no option part number available to purchase a LFF Drive cage to replace the existing the SFF Drive cage as per quick specs (link above)
4) As per server specs one would not be able to connect drives directly to the controller but has to be via the drive cage(includes backplane) only.

Thanks,
Satish

Charles Waters
Occasional Visitor

Re: ML350 G5 SAS/SATA cable to work with standard 3.5" SATA drives installed in other bays.

Thank you Satish. I didn't know that a LFF cage was available. That's the answer!
Satish Keshava Murthy
Occasional Visitor

Hi Charles,

If need be and if available you may use a LFF Drive cage with spare part â 413986-001â

Please don't forget to assign points if you think information provided is helpful

Satish