108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350 G5 SFF change to LFF

SOLVED
Go to solution
Marcin Halon

ML350 G5 SFF change to LFF

Hi,
we have ML350 G5 SFF (470064-442) but we must put inside large SATA disk drives (500 GB). Those drives are only aviable in LFF (3,5"). Is it possible to chanege the cage in our server for LFF? I have found P/N of that cage: 413986-001 byt I am not sure if it will work.

Best regards, M.
9 REPLIES 9
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello Marcin,

Yes that can be achieved.

SATA/SAS hard drive cage, SFF
Spare Part # 413985-001

SATA/SAS hard drive cage, LFF
Spare Part # 413986-001

Changing the Cage will resolve the issue.

Regards,
James.
RaMpaNTe
Trusted Contributor

Although this "might" work, HP does not offer a conversion kit per se. Spare part numbers and Option part numbers are quite different because as the word says. Optional part numbers are parts that were designed to be compatible with the server. Spare part numbers in the other hand of course are parts to replace "failed" ones.

I know this explanation might sound silly but here is the "why" I am telling you this. Between the various 350 g5 models there are those that come with SFF and those that come with LFF HP did not design those parts to be exchangeable between server models. We call this factory integration. If a server is factory integrated to work with SFF some of its components/configuration will not be the same as a factory integrated LFF.

Now to make a long story short. About a year ago I received a call from a Customer who was kind of frustrated because his ML350 g5 was not working with his recently bought LFF drive cage (Yes, same scenario here)

The SFF drive cage power connector has 10 pins the LFF drive cage power connector has 8 pins. There are no conversion kits for this, so the customer had to use the SFF drive cage which is the one factory integrated ith the server he bought.

To finish this, I do not recommend you to buy the LFF cage because I know it will not work in the factory integrated SFF server. If you want me to confirm this with you, please feel free to call HP Server Support and ask whomever answers the call to either consult me about this or to conference the call with me so I can confirm you this over the phone.

Thanks,

Carlomagno A.K.A. in HP Forums as RaMpaNTe

You heve a question... I have an aswer!!!
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

mmm nice to know

"The SFF drive cage power connector has 10 pins the LFF drive cage power connector has 8 pins. There are no conversion kits for this, so the customer had to use the SFF drive cage which is the one factory integrated ith the server he bought."

very good information about those pins - LFF - SFF cages

cool from Costa Rica also
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Marcin,

Please refer the attached File.

Regards,
James.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Marcin,

GOTO:
http://h20181.www2.hp.com/plmcontent/NACSC/SML/

Select :
Servers>HP PROLIANT ML> ML350 G5 & select "FRU remove/replace"

Once the page loads(it takes some time), on the Left hand side, select :
1) Hard drive Cage
2) SATA Backplane

Both videos will give you a clear picture on what you will be doing.

Regards,
James.
Marcin Halon

Thanks for your help, I will let you know if it works.
Mircea Giurgeu_1
Occasional Advisor

Marcin,

Have you had any luck using the LFF cage? I am about to do the same thing.
Johnathan Moran
Occasional Advisor

Please see the attached pdf. It states that the 10 pin connector will attach to the 8 pin socket on the LFF backplane. When its connected correctly there will be a two pin overlap which is ok.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

well if you say so

but:

NOTE: Please note that SFF tower or rack models can only be configured with SFF 2.5" SAS or SATA hard drives and LFF tower or rack models can be only configured with LFF 3.5" SAS or SATA hard drives.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12475_na/12475_na.html#Models

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!