New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350 G5 - change RAID 5 size

SOLVED
Go to solution
Peter H.
Frequent Advisor

ML350 G5 - change RAID 5 size

Hi
I have a ML350 G5 server with E200i RAID Controller, running Windows 2008 Std. Server.
Configured a RAID 5 with 3 72GB HDD's.
I'd like to upgrade the RAID with 2 additional 72 GB HDD's. How can I do this?
Just put them in, start HP Configuration Utility and add them to the existing RAID 5?
Do I have to shutdown/reboot the server, or can I do this "live"?
Best Regards.
4 REPLIES 4
cnb
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Peter,

If I understand your question correctly, then yes you do this online and live with the proper configuration (BBWC) option for capacity expansion:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/arraycontrollers/smartarraye200/questionsanswers.html#6b

Best practices apply and have a complete backup and recovery method prior to any system changes involving disks.

hth,
Peter H.
Frequent Advisor

What I want to do: I have a RAID 5 with 3 HDD's and want to add 2 HDD's to it, to have more free diskspace. I want to add them online, without reboot the server!
Lesley Persyn
Frequent Advisor

Hi Peter,

Please verify page 16 http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00729544/c00729544.pdf

- Have a valid backup
- You need a BBWC installed!
- Make sure you have the last firmware for you're E200i and old and new hdd's! (You need to reboot)
- Keep in mind it take 15min/gb to expand the drives.
- Good luck :)
Prabhu Raj
Frequent Advisor

First connect the HDDs and then expand the RAID array and then extend the volume both using the array configuration utility. this should solve your problem. Try using the latest version.

YOU SHOULD HAVE A COMPLETE DATA / SYSTEM STATE BACKUP BEFORE PROCEEDING.