ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748128 Members
3533 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350 G5 locks up

John Gair

ML350 G5 locks up

I have two identical servers of this model. One running just fine, the other literally locks up. System LEDs show activity, the LEDs on the drives (3 hard drives, Raid 5) seem to be flashing in a left to right cycle, the video and keyboard appear dead and the network connection, although indicating activity (thru its LEDs), is unresponsive to ping from the other server. Any ideas where to start debugging this? (OS is Windows 2003 Server, SP1).
7 REPLIES 7
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi John,

Have a look at the Integrated Management Log using the IML viewer.
Start-Programs-HP System Tools-IML Viewer.

If there are any underlying hardware issues you may see an entry in there. You can generally ignore "network link lost" messages but there may be memory or other errors which would be worth investigating.

Take note of the timestamps against any errors and see if these correspond with the hangs.

Brian
John Gair

Nothing significant appears in the log. I updated the IML Viewer along with other drivers and tools, but it didn't seem to help. Of course the system locked again during a diagnostic and I'll need to force a reboot again. And to do that, I need to pull the power cords off the power supplies and let it sit for 15 minutes. Holding the power button in to shut it off and power on, the system doesn't respond (keyboard, video and mouse unresponsive, and network still "dead"). Time to call HP service?
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

John,

If possible, reduce the system to minimum memory and CPU to see if it remains stable.

Minimum memory -

Memory interleaved on Bank A (Dimm slots 1 and 5). (The system will work with only 1 dimm in slot 1 but this may not be enough).
Remove CPU2 (if installed) and its PPM.

Brian

John Gair

The server only had 1 CPU, so I removed the 2nd RAM chip as suggested. The unit did seem to run longer, but still locked up the same way after two days running. Should I bail and throw it at HP Service?
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

ok let's try this

- reseat main components
- if you have two power supplier remove one
- clean nvram - it could from RBSU or system maintenace switch

my last idea would be if you have two identical server try swapping components between them

not all at the same time but one by one

array controllers
processors
power s

this could help you to determine if any component is any component is failing

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
John Gair

Tried everything and server still locks up within an hour of cold startup. Monitored internal temperatures, but does not appear to be heat related. I will log a call with HP server to attempt to have them replace the motherboard.
marcj
Advisor

Hi guys,

I've encountered the same problem too. We have already replace the systemboard and the processor. The problem is still the same. The server locks up. COuld anyone help how to solve this issue.

Regards