108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML350 G5 managing disk and diskarrays

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ron - 4DF
Occasional Contributor

ML350 G5 managing disk and diskarrays

Where can I find information about managing disks please? - don't seem to have much luck.
We have 3 146GB LLF Serial SCSI drives configured RAID5, I want to add a hot spare and have 1 extra available for expansion, what is the procedure?, can it be done on the fly? thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: ML350 G5 managing disk and diskarrays

Hi, what OS do you have installed on it?
The application from HP is called Array Configuration Utility and that can be run from within Windows or Linux. If you have anything else you could try to run smartstart CD or use the ACU that shows up during POST.

And as you're new to the forum, don't forget to give points :)
Ron - 4DF
Occasional Contributor

Hi Johan, if you come back to me I will give you more points as it seems that your answer was much more helpful than I first thought.
I have found the os based array configuration utility, always been there but never noticed it before :). But also need to know about do's and dont's when it comes to hot and cold plugging drives as I don't want to break a mission critical server, is it correct that a hot spare also can be configured with this utility? Thank you for your time Johan
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi, sounds great ;)

Looked up the specs for the ML350 G5 and all models are hot plug and with an e200i controller.

Physically adding a new hdd can be done when it is off or when it is on. It is OK to do it in this case because it is only a spare and not a disk that will be used to rebuild.

When it is found by ACU, assign that drive as a hot spare to your array.

http://docs.hp.com/en/9320/acu.pdf

Here is a user guide for ACU.
Be sure to check out the setting "rebuild priority" and make sure it fits your needs. If you set it to max, the rebuild will go faster and your system will be vulnerable a shorter period of time, but your system will be a lot slower during that time.

Ron - 4DF
Occasional Contributor

Quality Johan, I guess I can order a couple of drives in and get on with it, many thanks for showing me the light switch.