cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ML350 G5 powers up but nothing on screen nor post beep

KatzEye
Occasional Visitor

ML350 G5 powers up but nothing on screen nor post beep

Hi folks, brand new ml350 G5 but its one of the first models, 470064-100, been sitting in storage as spare for a year, never powered up before.

powered up fine and i went through the smartstart assisted (latest ver 8.10) windows sbs 2003 (HP Brand CDs) install. after about the third automatic reboot in the process the unit went dead. power supply seems fine as it does all power up but nothing on the screen (totally black) and i dont hear that normal single POST beep before OS boot, nor any other beeps for that matter. HDDs only light up once on powerup and thats it, so it doesnt look like OS is booting at all, CD lights up and goes out, lights up then out...

all front LEDs are green, no error leds on motherboard.

when i remove RAM sticks the unit does give a long beep on powerup, and RAM slot red leds come up (so it does have SOME life).

i tried removing all HDDs and even disconnect CD IDE cable. no use.

i tried backup NVRAM procedure (system maintenance dip switches 1,5,6) and all it does is give a long repeated beep. also tried switch 6 on its own to wipe CMOS, nothing happens.

any ideas?
the unit is in warranty but its a saturday and we cant afford to pay HP out of hours rate :(

many thx!!
5 REPLIES
Sangram_1
Regular Advisor

Re: ML350 G5 powers up but nothing on screen nor post beep

A little more of the basic stuff:

1. Reseat processor & PPM if you can.
2. Remove and reseat the hard drive cage + backplane.
3. It must have a controller card installed. Remove it and boot.

Tx!!
I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing.
Gary Antonio Benavides
Trusted Contributor

Do you have any kind of remote PCI management card like RILOE, or a graphic card? If you do, make sure the Video, monitor or TFT is proplerly connected to that card.
If it's not fun, you're not doing it right
KatzEye
Occasional Visitor

hi guys

ok there is only 1 cpu and just 1 ppm slot (empty) ill try to reseat the cpu. yep it does have cage but controller is on board.

there is ILO but thats on board too, with just ethernet port for it..

i've only got a keyboard and monitor connected, nothing else, i've removed HDDs and CDROM too...

meanwhile, couple more weird things:
- the LEDs under the RAM slots dont match the positions shown in the pdf, mine are about 6 vertical ones, some flash some dont.

- every few seconds i hear a click/blip, and at that instant the above LEDs all go out and kind of "reset"

could there be a power short somewhere? should i be removing motherboard to see if there is a loose screw somewhere? (i've had that with brand new HP servers before :)
KatzEye
Occasional Visitor

hi guys, no good, reseated CPU removed drive cage and disconnected from PSU anything else that was not needed (cage, cdrom etc)...
KatzEye
Occasional Visitor

Hi guys just to update you, HP turned up today and replaced motherboard, all is well again. just my luck it was a brand new server with a dodgy mobo! :)