1752805 Members
5447 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

ML350 G5 server won't boot; red internal health, amber external health

isdpcman
Occasional Contributor

ML350 G5 server won't boot; red internal health, amber external health

Overnight our primary DC shutdown. After power cycling the server there are two non-green lights. The Internal Health light is red, the External Health light is amber.

We found directions to  unplug power, remove the CMOS battery, remove the RAM, Set switch 6 to ON. Put back 1 stick of RAM and put the button CMOS battery back in. Power on. The lights turn green breifly. Then the Internal Health light goes red and the external health light goes amber. Nothing ever shows up on the screen (monitor) attached to the server.

What else can I do to determine what's wrong with this server? We'd like to get it back up and running ASAP. It's their primary DC.

3 REPLIES 3
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Re: ML350 G5 server won't boot; red internal health, amber external health

Hi,

The external health LED being amber indicates that power supply redundancy has failed. When this is combined along with red internal health LED, could mean an issue with the power circuit. Refer to the LED on the system board, especially for amber or red LEDs. You may refer to the server's maintenance and service guide "Component identification > System board LEDs".

Based on that swap with working parts to isolate the issue.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

isdpcman
Occasional Contributor

According to the system BOTH CPU's are faulty! That just doesn't make sense. Both CPU lights (light 2 and 5) are amber. What else can control this? Power? I have a redundant PS on this machine and I swapped those out and we still get this error.

TVVJ
HPE Pro

Hi,

You may try removing the heatsinks, clean the processors with alcohol swabs, re-apply thermal paste and check if the issue is resolve. If the issue persists, try the processors in a known working similar server, if available to isolate between the processor and the system board.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo