cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ML350 G5 - unplanned shutdowns

KDG
Occasional Contributor

ML350 G5 - unplanned shutdowns

We are running Win2003serverSP2. We are getting random unexpected computer resets / shutdowns about once or twice a month. Recently, I have been able to create the reset by copying a large directory of files from one logical drive to another on the server. Is this a hardware problem? Can't seem to find any helpful info in the logs. The equipment is less than 6 months old.
4 REPLIES
Mike Brewer_1
Occasional Visitor

Re: ML350 G5 - unplanned shutdowns

We had a similar issue with the G2s. They would just be found shut down, with nothing in any error logs or any indication of why they had done so.
They came back up fine, but it could occur at any time day or night. Haven't seen it or heard of it happening in the G3s or G4s.
HP sent someone out to investigate - they noticed some voltage on the serial line that went to a UPS on one, but not on any of the others.
Does it occur EVERY time you do a large directory copy?
stefano colombo_1
Super Advisor

did you install th Hp smartstart agents. There's also a diagnostic tool in programs-hp tools.
Check if you can find something there
HTH
KDG
Occasional Contributor

Mike:

Thanks for your interest. Here's some more info.

I recreated the problem by copying and it appeared like the server hung up for a couple of seconds before rebooting. I recorded the last file name that was copying. After the reboot I went to the directory, and tried to copy the directory cotents to another drive and received the "Access denied" message. However, I could copy the two or three files at a time without an error. I tried more file copying in small increments without any errors. Feeling good, I tried copying large directories again and it reboot, but this time with a different directory. Also, it appears to hang up and reboot after at least 2 minutes of continous copying. Copying that takes less time seems to work mormal. What do you think?

KDG
Occasional Contributor

Smartstart Agents:

We installed our system using them and the diagonstic tools only showed NIC link downs which is probalbly due to the reboots. All other tests on the disk arrays and hardware returned no errors.