1751940 Members
4675 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350 G5

Gr3mlin
Occasional Visitor

ML350 G5

Hi there guys, i have been having issues with my ML350 G5. I got an email saying the server was not responding, when i physically went to the server i found it powered down with 1 of the PSU's dead. I purchased 2 PSU's to replace the current ones. after a while on the test bench I found that one of the PSU's after a wee while turns off (assumed over heating) so i have removed that and have had the server on the test bench for a further couple of weeks.

I have witnessed numorous times the server will suddenly do a reboot. like i had commanded it to restart. i checked the logs and there was no sign of a reboot command coming from the OS. so i checked the Lights Out logs. and found several 'Server power removed.' in the log files. with a 'Server power restored' almost straight after it. (same time stamp)

I have done a lot of searching to try to figure this one out. I have read that someone brought 2 power supplies to replace the one they had and both turned out to be faulty, so they purchased another set and have had no issues since.

this could very well be what my issue is, but i through i would run it past the experts before spending more on PSU's.

The other thing I thought it might have been is the Backplane, maybe faulty? any help would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
RbBsmn
Regular Advisor

Could you please take a picture of the labels of the PSUs? Or if you can find their manufacturing data's that be sufficient too. If they are from before 2008 my first guess would be to go with the PSUs if the IML/Advanced Survey doesn't show anything else.
Did my post help? Thank me with kudo's! :)
Gr3mlin
Occasional Visitor

I there. thanks for the reply, here are the 2 psu photo's.

The only other thing in in IML was :  1794-Drive Array - Array Accelerator Battery Charge Low

RbBsmn
Regular Advisor

I see they got the orange dot on the stickers, thats a good thing.
If the BIOS/Firmware is up to date and there are no other error messages/red LEDs (please check on the systemboard too) or anything, I would believe it's an issue with the backplane ob this specific server as they are known to have issues with these.
Did my post help? Thank me with kudo's! :)