HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ML350 G6 920i Tape Drive

Danz.nz
Occasional Visitor

ML350 G6 920i Tape Drive

Hi,

I have been going round and round in circles with HP support over the last 2 weeks with a tape drive problem on a brand new server with Carepack. Forums are my next plan of approach as I need to get this problem sorted.

Basics:
HBA - LSI Ultra320 SCSI 2000 series
tape drive - HP LTO Ultrium-3 drive 920i

When using any backup software, after about 4-6gb of data the drive fails with 'unknown error'. The hp storage works tools also fail read/write tests for anything above 4gb. 4gb test completes ok everytime, but anything bigger fails.

HP have replaced: The HBA, the cable, and replaced the tape drive 3 times. All with the exact same problem.

When using the tracer.exe program. The software tells me that SCSI STAT QUEUE FULL. I believe that their must be some conflict happening. We have several ML350 G5 servers with this setup working fine. This is the first G6 we are using however.

I have sent numerous logs off to HP. Latest is a another tape drive to be shipped. Surely this is not the answer.

All firmware, drivers have been updated.Server running SBS 2008 (64bit)

This seems a very strange problem. Any insight/info would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note. I have found the HP support center to be very disspointing and has declined over the past year. I have had to constantly chase up my case number (which changes everytime a part is sent). As new case numbers are generated, they ask me to redo all the steps done previously. Client has paid for Carepack, only to have a new server still not working 2 weeks later.

Thanks,
Daniel
6 REPLIES
hungry
Frequent Advisor

Re: ML350 G6 920i Tape Drive

you might give the following advisory a try:

http://www11.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en&docId=emr_na-c00718488
You got a dream... You gotta protect it. People can't do somethin' themselves, they wanna tell you you can't do it. If you want somethin', go get it. Period. - Pursuit of Happyness
Danz.nz
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the reply but the settings reccomended in the link are already set by default with the latest driver.
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

Hmmmm danz

give it a whirl..
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842411
Danz.nz
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the reply Mark. Steps in the link you provided are the same as previous one. Polling of tape drive disabled already.
hungry
Frequent Advisor

Which back up programme do you use? Does it already have the latest patches?

What if you use an alternative back up programme? Do you have the same problem then? E.g. windows inbuilt back up programme.
You got a dream... You gotta protect it. People can't do somethin' themselves, they wanna tell you you can't do it. If you want somethin', go get it. Period. - Pursuit of Happyness
Ralf Loehmann_2
Valued Contributor

Hello Daniel,

I do not why yet, but you might try to stop the following: SCSI Information Agent and HP WMI Storage Provider
I have heard that couple people had problems with their Backups and after disable that the backups were working.

Regards,
Ralf.