1748169 Members
3984 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ML350 G6: Additional RAID controller

ohjohnsen
Occasional Collector

ML350 G6: Additional RAID controller

I recently purchased a used ProLiant ML350 G6 server.  It has a SFF (2.5") HDD cage, and has 3x 500GB SFF drives mounted and set up in the onboard P410i controller as RAID 0+1 (two drives mirrored + one drive spare).  I have installed Windows Server 2012 R2 on the server, and I want to use a set of 4x 2TB LFF (3.5") drives as file storage, preferably set up as RAID5.  From what I understand, the P410i controller only support one RAID setup, and no mixing between SFF and LFF drives (I was told this by HPE support).  So currently my four LFF drives are set up as RAID5 using software RAID in Windows Server 2012 R2.

I'm a bit worried about the safety in this.  I mean, how robust is this agains drive failures, system crashes etc.?  I would prefer a hardware RAID controller if it doesn't cost a fortune.  Is this possible on the ProLiant ML350 G6 servers?  Any recommendations about what kind of RAID controllers I can use?  Note that I'm not looking to replace the P410i controller (unless it's a controller that can manage both an SFF RAID setup and LFF RAID setup) or any of the SFF drives.  I'm just looking for an additional hardware RAID controller for my LFF storage drives.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

The P410i is an embedded controller and it can support multiple RAID arrays. The servers generally ship with either SFF, or LFF drive cages and are not shipped from the factory with both type of cages.  The controller doesn't care if the drives are SFF or LFF. The only controller limitations are the maximum number of drives supported (I think the P410i supports 8), and you cannot have SATA and SAS mixed in the same array.   If you have a server that shipped with the 8 SFF cage and add a second cage, you will need to add a second controller or a SAS expander card. Refer to the quickspecs and maintenance and service guide (for cabling infromation) for your model server. 

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
ohjohnsen
Occasional Collector

Thank you for your reply.

I am currently using a Chieftec SNT-3051 cage for holding the four 3.5" SATA drives, and they are connected using four of the SATA connectors on the bottom left part of the main board.  I assume that in this way I am bypassing the internal P410i controller, correct?

I have looked through the quickspecs, and I have to admit my mind is reeling slightly for the number of options and variants.  I'm looking for a SATA controller supporting RAID5 and which can be used in addition to the P410i embedded controller.  Would the P410 512MB FBWC controller (http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Smart-Array-P410-512MB-FBWC-Cache-SATA-SAS-Controller-RAID-6G-PCIe-x8-LSI-/142339304979?hash=item2124156e13:g:rpgAAOSwhQhY5lZ8) do the trick?

From the P410 quickspecs (http://literatureserver.glb.itcs.hpe.com/v2/GetHTML.aspx?docname=c04111713) I see that it's fully compatible with SATA 3Gb/s (my drives are 6Gb/s, but I'm fine with 3Gb/s).

Also, if I mount a P410 controller in addition to the embedded P410i controller, can it be configured in the same manner as the P410i controller (i.e. keypress during startup to access a configuration menu), or how else is it done?

I apologize for the amateurish questions.  Since I *am* an amateur at this and fairly new with enterprise computer equipment, I'm afraid I cannot help it. :-)

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@ohjohnsen wrote:

Thank you for your reply.

I am currently using a Chieftec SNT-3051 cage for holding the four 3.5" SATA drives, and they are connected using four of the SATA connectors on the bottom left part of the main board.  I assume that in this way I am bypassing the internal P410i controller, correct?

Yes from what I recall those connectors are really for optical drive use.  The hot-plug drive cage should be connected to the P410i

Also, if I mount a P410 controller in addition to the embedded P410i controller, can it be configured in the same manner as the P410i controller (i.e. keypress during startup to access a configuration menu), or how else is it done?

Yes, each controller will present the F8 option (ORCA) to configure RAID fro the drives attached to the controller. Being an older system, the other program you can use is called ACU (Array Configuration Utility) This is an application that can be used from within an OS or booted into for offline access. The tool is now call SSA (Smart Storage Administrator)

I'm sure you can still find pats and controllers for this system, it has been out of production for

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!