1753734 Members
4545 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML350 G6 PCI-X expansion FANS

e1h277
Occasional Contributor

ML350 G6 PCI-X expansion FANS

I just recived a few ML350 G6 servers and in all of then the PCI-X expansion FANS are always at full speed which makes alot of noise.
is there a way to reduce the speed of these fans? aren't the fans controlled like the chassis fans?.
I tried to install the lates server firmware but it didn't help
6 REPLIES 6
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: ML350 G6 PCI-X expansion FANS

Did you install the servers using the SmartStart CD? What OS are you running on them?

If you boot on the smartstart are the fans also running at full speed?
e1h277
Occasional Contributor

I installed the server with our
pre-installation OS DVD. the OS is windows 2003 svr.
when i boot the server all fans are at full speed but after a few seconds all fans, except the PCI-X expander fans, slow down.
even if i don't install an OS all fans are slow and quiet execpt for the PCI-X expantion fans.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Okay then to me it seems like that's the way it is supposed to be, especially if it is on several servers /:

However the quickspecs http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13241_div/13241_div.HTML

says around 30dB with the note
" NOTE: The Listed sound levels apply to standard shipping configurations. Additional options may result in increased sound levels. "

Are the PCI-x expansions an additional option?
e1h277
Occasional Contributor

We use it because we have two in house PCI-X cards that we need to install. as for the PCI-X expender it is an option but we have to install it.
Jonathan-S

I just worked a case with this issue and after reviewing the reports we found a high temperature, not really hight just higher than the others, in the scsi backplane.

We changed it and nothing, then we changed the cables to it, and that was it, the fans came down to a normal speed.

Has anyone change the cables?

roda1

I have also a problem with the Fan Noise

Server ML350 G6 with 2 CPU Xeon X5560 Quad Core 2.8GHz

2x24GB RAM

than we use HP 4x300GB SAS (RAID1+0)

and 4x 1TB SATA Hitachi HGST 24/7

when the Hitachi HDD is inside the Fan go up and up to 80%

when the Hitachi HDD isn't inside the Fan is slowly.

my question is:

when I change the Hitachi to 4x HP 600GB SAS (Raid5) is it posible that the Fans be slowly?

The HP HDD has  a Operating Temperature 10┬░ to 35┬░ C and the Hitachi has 0┬░ to 60┬░ C

so I thing that the Hitachi is run with a higher Temperature and the System thing it have to make the Fan on an higher level.

Maybe somebody can help me