cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ML350 G6 VERY VERY SLOW

Steve Mendrys
Occasional Visitor

ML350 G6 VERY VERY SLOW

HI. we have a new HP server ML350 G6 with 8GB ram 2 quad core CPu's 8x500gb sas 720k HDD running raid 5 with 256MB cache ram set to read 100% (it has no battery backup) running windows server 2008R2 and exchange 2010 this server runs so slow its un useable would fitting 1GB cache make any diffrence and what would be the best setting 50/50 read write or 25/75 thanks in advance any help in speeding this up would be most greatfull....
3 REPLIES
Trygve Henriksen
Respected Contributor

Re: ML350 G6 VERY VERY SLOW

You only have that one array, and it's running RAID5?
The OS is installed on this?
(Windows should not be installed on RAID5 if it's at all possible to avoid it)

You're running Exchange server on it?
You should SERIOUSLY consider a battery-backed write cache on this server.
Yes, using some cache for write-cache will speed it up, but without battery-backup, you're just one power glitch away from a crapped out database. (Crapped out as in 'completely useless, hope the backup is good and that the users won't kill us for losing a day or more of messages')

Steve Mendrys
Occasional Visitor

Hi thanks for the feast reply... Drives are split into two with windows on 1st and exchange on second both raid 5. I have ordered 1MB cache ram card what would you recomend as a config for not using raid 5 with windows. ??
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

First RAID 5 is not recommended for any OS or paging/file. You would be better off doing RAID 1 or 10 for OS and paging. RAID 5 without a battery cache would be slow. You need battery to enable advanced caching features. 8GB RAM for Windows 2008 R2? My Exchange and SQL servers x64 have 32GB of RAM and same in paging. I am considering 64GB of RAM and 128 GB paging on a HP MSA 2012fc SAN. OS, Exchange on same RAID array is not recommended. You should have 2-3 RAID arrays

RAID 1 or 10: OS
RAID 1 or 10: paging
RAID 10 or 5: Exchange