1753560 Members
5991 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350 G6 and EFI / GPT

Stefano Costantini_2
Frequent Advisor

ML350 G6 and EFI / GPT

Hi all, i have a problem: my ML350G6, with controller P410, has 5 1TB disks in raid 5.

I'd like to have 1 boot partition of 100 GB and a data partition to fullfill the volume.

To have partitions > then 2 TB i need to switch from MBR to GPT, and to boot from GPT i need to have an EFI compliant hardware.

This server is EFI (UEFI) compliant? If yes, how to "enable" EFI to install windows server 2008 R2 X64? Tks
11 REPLIES 11
TTr
Honored Contributor

> I'd like to have 1 boot partition of 100 GB and a data partition to fullfill the volume.

You can also create two separate LUNs in the raid5 array that you have, one for boot and one for data. These will show up as separate disks and you will have one partition in each LUN.
Stefano Costantini_2
Frequent Advisor

That should be an idea, but how to do it with p400?
TTr
Honored Contributor

See the section on creating LUNs (Logical Drives) in ORCA. Page 10, 11 in

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00729544/c00729544.pdf

Creating two LUNs with one partition in each will give you two independent phusical disk i/os. With one LUN and two partitions, you would have one physical i/o for both partitions.
Stefano Costantini_2
Frequent Advisor

I can only create logical drive ... without specification of size, so it fullfilled disks ... why? o i have to buy a license???
TTr
Honored Contributor

You don't need a license. The license if for advanced features.

Even the zero memory option allows two logical drives.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13201_na/13201_na.HTML#Technical%20Specifications

What exactly are you doing when you create the array/LUNs? Can you take pictues and post back here?
Have you tried playing around with other options such as raid1 to see what happens?

Do you have the latest firmware installed on the server and controller?
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Unless they have added new features to the ORCA. Then you can't create multible logical drives on the arrays.

You can do that from the ACU.

From the ORCA you can create multible Arrays with 1 logical drive on each Array.

From the ACU, you can create multible Logical drives within an Array.

In Smart Array Terms:
An Array = A groupe of disks, belonging together. RAID level not defined yet.

A logical drive = a drive created in an/on an Array. RAID level and size is defined when you create the logical drive.
To the operating system, a logical drive appear as a physical drive.

If you use the ACU you can put all 5 drives in the same array.
Then create a 100 GB RAID 5. (Or 1+0)
Then create a RAID 5 on the remaing space.

There's one downside having multible logical drives in an array.
If you add more drives or in any other way add more space to the array, you will be able to extend the upper/last logical drive only.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

TTr
Honored Contributor

> I can only create logical drive ... without specification of size

It was not clear if you are allowed to specify the size or not. If you are allowed to specify the size, create one logical drive and as 100GB for the logical drive. Then install the OS and use the ACU to create the second logical as gregersenj mentioned.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

>TTr

If I remember correctly, and if it hasn't been changed!

Then you only get to select wich drives to include in an array, and what RAID level to use.
When you configure it using the ORCA.
And it will use all available space on the selected disks.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Stefano Costantini_2
Frequent Advisor

Ok, now i have 2 volumes, 1 of 100 GB and one to fullfill the space, but question is still partially open: does this server support EFI (or UEFI)?