4411 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350 G6 problem with Pcie

Danilo Badoni
Occasional Advisor

ML350 G6 problem with Pcie

Hi everyone.
We are installing may ML350 G6 and these servers are givin' us always the same problem: when we install a pcie card to add some USB ports, servers always have problems on shuttin' down. Servers give us a blue screen or they reboot instead of shuttin' down. When servers are on fans goes at maximum speed.

We upgraded the firmware and bios of every server and the problem is still here. Any other solution?
10 REPLIES 10
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

this is latest firmware
iff this does not help ill all fan slots as g6 servers will be noisy, when any thing is in the riser card pull it out and see the differance , make sure you populae all optional fans this is solution i have tested it many times..
select os and continue

not on firmware cd
this version Problems Fixed:
Improved acoustics when the optional PCI-X expansion riser is installed in the server.

Resolved an issue where an Uncorrectable Memory Error is inaccurately reported in the Integrated Management Log (IML) when a DIMM fails to properly initialize during system boot. The inaccurate message states "207-Uncorrectable Memory Error detected by ROM-based memory validation (Memory Module X)" where X indicates an incorrect DIMM number. The IML will now report "207-Memory initialization error on Processor X DIMM Y. The operating system may not have access to all of the memory installed in the system." where X indicates the processor number and Y indicates the DIMM number for the DIMM that failed to initialize properly.

Resolved an issue where the system would fail to boot certain USB Drive Keys or SD Cards. This issue was seen when USB Drive Keys or SD Cards configured with a boot loader such as GRUB. This issue only effects USB based devices and has no impact on installations to other mass storage devices.

Resolved an issue which could result in the power supply state being reported as "warning" for a non-installed power supply by some industry standard utilities that read power supply information from the industry standard SMBIOS tables. This issue results in no functional issue for the system. The status was simply indicated incorrectly.

Resolved an issue where the ambient temperature is not displayed properly during system boot if the ambient temperature is below 0 Degrees Celsius. This issue only affects the display of the temperature on the screen during boot and does not affect operation of the system.

Resolved an issue where fan numbers were reported incorrectly for fans that are not installed. Fan numbers for failed fans were always reported correctly.

Known Issues:
None

Problems Fixed:
Improved acoustics when the optional PCI-X expansion riser is installed in the server.

Resolved an issue where an Uncorrectable Memory Error is inaccurately reported in the Integrated Management Log (IML) when a DIMM fails to properly initialize during system boot. The inaccurate message states "207-Uncorrectable Memory Error detected by ROM-based memory validation (Memory Module X)" where X indicates an incorrect DIMM number. The IML will now report "207-Memory initialization error on Processor X DIMM Y. The operating system may not have access to all of the memory installed in the system." where X indicates the processor number and Y indicates the DIMM number for the DIMM that failed to initialize properly.

Resolved an issue where the system would fail to boot certain USB Drive Keys or SD Cards. This issue was seen when USB Drive Keys or SD Cards configured with a boot loader such as GRUB. This issue only effects USB based devices and has no impact on installations to other mass storage devices.

Resolved an issue which could result in the power supply state being reported as "warning" for a non-installed power supply by some industry standard utilities that read power supply information from the industry standard SMBIOS tables. This issue results in no functional issue for the system. The status was simply indicated incorrectly.

Resolved an issue where the ambient temperature is not displayed properly during system boot if the ambient temperature is below 0 Degrees Celsius. This issue only affects the display of the temperature on the screen during boot and does not affect operation of the system.

Resolved an issue where fan numbers were reported incorrectly for fans that are not installed. Fan numbers for failed fans were always reported correctly.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This is how we thank each other in the forum

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Enjoy:)

Danilo Badoni
Occasional Advisor

We also installed this fix and nothin' changed. We tested that fans slow down when we pull out our pcie cards. But we cannot install servers with only 4 USB (and only 2 on the back)... we need to install additional USB ports without using external hubs.

It's impossible that nobody knows how to do it... I can't think everybody is happy with only 2 USB on the back side...
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

like i said in post above

make sure you populate all optional fans this is solution i have tested it many times..
select os and continue

make sure you are using2 power supplies too, i know the above helps this as i have sorted it many times..

marcus1234
Honored Contributor

danilo this is the solution the noise is by design not an error when you use extra cards only way is as i described ,,

ike i said in post above

make sure you populate all optional fans this is solution i have tested it many times..
select os and continue

make sure you are using2 power supplies too, i know the above helps this as i have sorted it many times..

>>>>>>>>>>>>.hint :)<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Danilo Badoni
Occasional Advisor

But this is not a fans problem.
If I don't connect pcie cards everything is fine. If I connect pcie cards the server gives us blue screens or errors in shuttin' down. And with the pcie cards inserted also fans go at maximum speed.
So, out problem is to add USB ports to the server using pcie slots without havin' these problems. We use different pcie cards from different producers. But the problem still remains. And I say once again this is not a problem with fans or their number.
Danilo Badoni
Occasional Advisor

This is what iLO log gives me:

Critical
PCI Bus
12/16/2009 10:46
12/16/2009 10:46
Uncorrectable PCI Express Error (Embedded device, Bus 0, Device 7, Function 0, Error status 0x00004000)
Critical
CPU
12/16/2009 10:08
12/16/2009 10:08
Uncorrectable Machine Check Exception (Board 0, Processor 1, APIC ID 0x00000006, Bank 0x00000005, Status 0xBE000000'00800400, Address 0x00000000'000095A6, Misc 0x00000000'00000000)

I hope this can be helpful...
TTr
Honored Contributor

> So, our problem is to add USB ports to the server using pcie slots

Two comments:

I) Did these PCIe cards come with drivers? It looks to me that this is a driver support issue.

II) The server motherboard has an internal USB connector that you can use to add more USB ports. See page 74, component #23 (and #24). http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01704616/c01704616.pdf

You will need a USB cable/slot plate adapter such as this http://cableorganizer.com/outlet/efilliate/image/P1648a.jpg
Malcolm Watts
Frequent Advisor

This problem is also being seen on the DL380 G6 servers, there is a firmware fix if the system board revision is earlier the "OR", else it might mean a system board replacement.
Do you have Kaspersky AV running on the server?
Danilo Badoni
Occasional Advisor

No there isn't Kaspersky on the server. The problem happens also when you turn on the server for the first time...