New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350 G6 too too slow

SOLVED
Go to solution
Pepe Rodriguez
Advisor

ML350 G6 too too slow

hello,

I setup a ML350 G6 12GB Ram 4x146GB SAS Drives with two volumes with RAID 5.

The problem is the system speed, when you got the login screen and write down name and user it takes about 10 minutes to have the desktop available.

I run a disk benchmark test and got results below the 10MB/s both reading and writing.

I used the last firmware and flash for the array controller (from yesterday) and activate the cache with the array setup utility. The controller is as I bought it, without battery and no memory upgrade.

Somebody has any idea about what else could I do.

Thank you
27 REPLIES 27
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

What about any Spyware/Malware/Antivirus software working in background?

Did you test the same thing in SafeMode?

If the server works well in Safemode, may be you have to check or remove some unwanted software which gets loaded during startup.

Hope this helps.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Pepe Rodriguez
Advisor

Hi,

Yes I tried to boot first leaving just the hp services and no programs at all from start menu or registry "run". It was a little faster but not usable. After that I enabled the services from microsoft and the speed was almost the same.

We are now without any antivirus/firewall software.
Pepe Rodriguez
Advisor

By the way, the CPU usage is not so high, commit charge is at 36%. I will attach an image with system information. I can see a lot of memory peaks, I don't think this must be right
Pepe Rodriguez
Advisor

Another attachment
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor
Solution

RAID 5 can do that. You never place the OS in RAID 5. Use RAID 1 or RAID 10 for the OS. Swap/Paging should be RAID 1 or 10 only. The 10 MB/s is caused by parity writes. I would consider backing up and redoing the server RAID configuration. I never use RAID 5 on production servers that need write performance. My servers and SAN use RAID 1 and RAID 10 only. RAID 5 is too slow for writes.
Pepe Rodriguez
Advisor

Thank you Michael,

it's posible you are right, I could see it before, but sometimes trees can't let you see the raid 5
SMR
Valued Contributor

While I agree that RAID 5 is slower because of the striping... it's not THIS slow. Please generate and ADU report and attach it here.

Cheers!
Pepe Rodriguez
Advisor

OK, I will download the lattest service pack for proliants and run de ADU but it will take one or two days
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

I saw 10 MB/s per drive performance on RAID 5 on IOPS tests using IOMeter to similar SQL traffic 75% writes / 25% reads. Did you check your controller to verify battery cache is enabled and caching on the controller is enabled.