108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350 G6 too too slow

SOLVED
Go to solution
Pepe Rodriguez
Advisor

I must verify first if the controller has any battery installed. And yes I have enabled write cache
Pepe Rodriguez
Advisor

Hello everybody,

I run the ADU and you can find attached file results.

Could someone give it a read and look for anything wrong, I can't see nothing so bad for such low speed.

Thank you,
Pepe
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

The problem is RAID 5 parity writes. The controller has three functions: read, write, parity calculation. The problem with RAID 5 is parity calculations and writes. If your controller spends 70% writing data, it has to calculate parity for each of those writes for fault tolerance and redundancy. This can really slow down your arrays. This is how RAID 5 works. They did RAID 5 in the past because disks were slow and very expensive. Now with large inexpensive SAS drives, RAID 5 does not really make sense from a performance point of view.

I never use RAID 5 any more on production servers. It is too slow for writes. When you create or modify a file it is a write. Moving data from an old server to a new server with RAID 5 can be painful. I only use RAID 10 on production servers. If I need more space, I get a SAN and do RAID 10. I rather sacrifice about 5% read performance to gain write performance.
Pepe Rodriguez
Advisor

I don't know why I can't upload the zip file with the diagnostics results.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

You could try installing the battery and upgrading the cache? Is their any cache on it? Without the battery, your cache could be disabled it would help performance.
SMR
Valued Contributor

Write cache can now be enabled on new gen smart array controllers without the battery requirement, it does however pose a risk of data loss upon power failure, however, for testing purposes I suggest you enable it (you will be warned of the risk of enabling it without a battery backup) and then if you wanna keep it for production, buy the battery backup.
Pepe Rodriguez
Advisor

The write cache is enabled actually and reading the diagnostics results I think it has battery installed already.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

If you can, put another set of 4 disks on in RAID 10 and test performance. Crack open the server, check the battery is connected and it has a cache module. See what size the cache is. In the past, I upgraded 128 MB cache to 512 MB and saw a huge difference.
Pepe Rodriguez
Advisor

I will open and check for the battery, the diagnostics utility saids it has 512MB of cache.

How can I upload the result file? I do select the file to upload and the file name appears next to the button, but when I push Submit, the screen goes blank and the message is not sent, if I go back the file is unselected and if push submit again the message is sent but without the attached file.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Try setting this site as trusted.