Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ML350 G6 too too slow

SOLVED
Go to solution

ML350 G6 too too slow

hello,

I setup a ML350 G6 12GB Ram 4x146GB SAS Drives with two volumes with RAID 5.

The problem is the system speed, when you got the login screen and write down name and user it takes about 10 minutes to have the desktop available.

I run a disk benchmark test and got results below the 10MB/s both reading and writing.

I used the last firmware and flash for the array controller (from yesterday) and activate the cache with the array setup utility. The controller is as I bought it, without battery and no memory upgrade.

Somebody has any idea about what else could I do.

Thank you
27 REPLIES
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: ML350 G6 too too slow

What about any Spyware/Malware/Antivirus software working in background?

Did you test the same thing in SafeMode?

If the server works well in Safemode, may be you have to check or remove some unwanted software which gets loaded during startup.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

Yes I tried to boot first leaving just the hp services and no programs at all from start menu or registry "run". It was a little faster but not usable. After that I enabled the services from microsoft and the speed was almost the same.

We are now without any antivirus/firewall software.

By the way, the CPU usage is not so high, commit charge is at 36%. I will attach an image with system information. I can see a lot of memory peaks, I don't think this must be right

Another attachment
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor
Solution

RAID 5 can do that. You never place the OS in RAID 5. Use RAID 1 or RAID 10 for the OS. Swap/Paging should be RAID 1 or 10 only. The 10 MB/s is caused by parity writes. I would consider backing up and redoing the server RAID configuration. I never use RAID 5 on production servers that need write performance. My servers and SAN use RAID 1 and RAID 10 only. RAID 5 is too slow for writes.

Thank you Michael,

it's posible you are right, I could see it before, but sometimes trees can't let you see the raid 5
SMR
Valued Contributor

While I agree that RAID 5 is slower because of the striping... it's not THIS slow. Please generate and ADU report and attach it here.

Cheers!

OK, I will download the lattest service pack for proliants and run de ADU but it will take one or two days
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

I saw 10 MB/s per drive performance on RAID 5 on IOPS tests using IOMeter to similar SQL traffic 75% writes / 25% reads. Did you check your controller to verify battery cache is enabled and caching on the controller is enabled.

I must verify first if the controller has any battery installed. And yes I have enabled write cache

Hello everybody,

I run the ADU and you can find attached file results.

Could someone give it a read and look for anything wrong, I can't see nothing so bad for such low speed.

Thank you,
Pepe
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

The problem is RAID 5 parity writes. The controller has three functions: read, write, parity calculation. The problem with RAID 5 is parity calculations and writes. If your controller spends 70% writing data, it has to calculate parity for each of those writes for fault tolerance and redundancy. This can really slow down your arrays. This is how RAID 5 works. They did RAID 5 in the past because disks were slow and very expensive. Now with large inexpensive SAS drives, RAID 5 does not really make sense from a performance point of view.

I never use RAID 5 any more on production servers. It is too slow for writes. When you create or modify a file it is a write. Moving data from an old server to a new server with RAID 5 can be painful. I only use RAID 10 on production servers. If I need more space, I get a SAN and do RAID 10. I rather sacrifice about 5% read performance to gain write performance.

I don't know why I can't upload the zip file with the diagnostics results.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

You could try installing the battery and upgrading the cache? Is their any cache on it? Without the battery, your cache could be disabled it would help performance.
SMR
Valued Contributor

Write cache can now be enabled on new gen smart array controllers without the battery requirement, it does however pose a risk of data loss upon power failure, however, for testing purposes I suggest you enable it (you will be warned of the risk of enabling it without a battery backup) and then if you wanna keep it for production, buy the battery backup.

The write cache is enabled actually and reading the diagnostics results I think it has battery installed already.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

If you can, put another set of 4 disks on in RAID 10 and test performance. Crack open the server, check the battery is connected and it has a cache module. See what size the cache is. In the past, I upgraded 128 MB cache to 512 MB and saw a huge difference.

I will open and check for the battery, the diagnostics utility saids it has 512MB of cache.

How can I upload the result file? I do select the file to upload and the file name appears next to the button, but when I push Submit, the screen goes blank and the message is not sent, if I go back the file is unselected and if push submit again the message is sent but without the attached file.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Try setting this site as trusted.

Thank you Michael,

added as trusted site, I will try to send the file.

OK, the file is in the message just above this.

I was using Google Chrome, I switch to IE and add site to trust sites.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

It is still unavailable.

Do you have room for four new hard drives? I would consider getting four more drives and testing with a RAID 10 array.

No Michael, I can se the clip and can download the ADU results zip
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

You could backup the server and reconfigure the array as RAID 10 and test the performance. Other option is add four drives and test in RAID 10, if RAID 10 works better, move the data from four drive RAID 5 to RAID 10 and then create a second RAID 10 array from the RAID 5 drives.