1748268 Members
3409 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350 G6 will not boot with 2 X5670 CPUs

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

My only thought is there is probably something wrong with the 2nd CPU socket. I know the original poster says it looks OK, but if you can put both CPU's in socket 1 and everything is OK, it pretty much only leaves the 2nd socket as the issue, especially since he now has two of the original processors. 

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
thebaronn
Advisor

Thanks Jimmy, I think it is looking that way. The pins all look fine though, and this is the second board so I may just be incredibly unlucky.
Rob_at_NSIT
Advisor

I seem to remember a rash of these with bad boards.  The Ver1 (and Ver2?) of the hex board had a couple of traces too close to the CPU 2 socket bracket.  If you remove the socket hold down you see a small screw pad and shiny traces.  If the traces are uncut (or cut finely enough you know how to reflow them) one of those little red plastic washers may save the board.   The ver 3 of the board enlarged the pad and moved the memory trace.  On that note; try it with no memory in socket two that would defiantly point to the above. .

Note: Adding the washer will make the CPU lose adding a shim may / will be necessary.

Bios setting: CPU Node interleave should be disabled.

Also make sure the CPU power cable is completely and fully seated it uses independent pins to power the two CPUS.  

Final note remove the AC and Battery short the two battery connectors for about a minute (or leave overnight), I have seen strange "firmware ghosts" that the erase function just doesnтАЩt clear.  For example I recently had a Gen8 with an extra memory spare locked on.  If you enabled ADG with hot spare you lost 2 DIMMs per CPU and memory mirroring reduced a 256GiB server to 64GiB. 

Rob_at_NSIT
Advisor

Small clarification, I mean the CMOS battery and CMOS Battery contact that are available after it is removed.  Also for safety if there is a BBWC disconnect those batteries as well.  

thebaronn
Advisor

Thanks for the excellent suggestions Rob, I'll try these out and post back.
thebaronn
Advisor

Both boards are revision "0A".

When you say "If you remove the socket hold down you see a small screw pad and shiny traces", do you mean use a Torx screwdriver to remove the cover that holds down the CPU (highlighted below)?

Thanks.

CPU socket 2

Rob_at_NSIT
Advisor

IтАЩm going to be honest, I do not remember.  It was 3 to 4 years ago.  But I seem to remember two out of the three boards I inspected the damage was under the upper right black - silver screw and the third was lower right silver тАУ sliver screw (circled).  

Looking at your picture if the board was in front of me I would:

Closer inspect the 3rd from the left CAP.  From the picture it looks to be bulging.  If it is from one of the known bad cap makers I would replace it and any others on the board of the same make / model.

Check to see if the white spot under the lever between the two top silver-silver screws is a reflection or damage from a screwdriver being used to lift the CPU retainer.  If it is not a reflection I would remove the bracket and inspect very close - possibly file and reflow it.

Inspect the spot on the memory trace between C379 and 327, is it dust or cut?

This could be a photo artifact, but in the upper right area by the silver bracket between C3017 and C3009 there is a dark area that like like it could be a burned trace in layer 2,  directly under the C3017 silkscreen it appears to have a crack or a bulge, again leaning to a failure in lay two.  Repairing an inner layer issue is mostly impossible to fix.  (It can be by passed if you know the layout and/or have a circuit diagram.) 

Again this could be photo issues but it appears the entire upper right row of CPU pins are burned in to the socket.  As if they got hot enough to char the nylon.  And the logic board appears fried in the same area.   IтАЩve attached an edit of the photo.

EDIT: How did you get the photo in the post?  The edited image is showing up in the side bar--> as an attachment.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>How did you get the photo in the post?

Yes, how?

When I have to include a picture, I have to upload an image.  (Perhaps if you point to a URL, that's all you need?)

Anyway looking at the page source I see:

http://s21.postimg.org/edwm65nwn/IMG_1262.jpg

Ah! And using Insert Photos, you get:

IMG_1262

thebaronn
Advisor

That's right Dennis, I used Insert Photo from the WYSIWYG editor and pointed to a hosted image.
thebaronn
Advisor

Thanks for this Rob, I'll take the CPU cover off and examine the board more closely. A few of the items you mention are photo artefacts/shadows; I'll summarise once I've completed the inspection.